WFF Oly Pen Trip is Feb 18 and 19

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by James Mello, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

Haha...Well fellas, looks like I'm going to be on the Peninsula that weekend, touring some land for a fisheries internship I'm doing this summer. Of course why drive over to the OP for only one day of fishing? So I figure I'll probably want to put in at least one day of floating (I'm thinking Hoh Here). Right now its looking like I'll be working Saturday, but Friday is up in the air. So I'm thinking if anyone wants to float the hoh, say park boundry down drop me a PM. I dont really wanna roll with a possy here, maybe one or two other guys. Also not sure what my plans are for sleeping but I'll be sleeping out there Thursday and Friday night...James didnt you say you and john where gonna be out there all week? If you guys wanna meet up/shoot the $hit/drink some malt beverages I would be real up for it. Anyway, I'm pumped to be out on the Peninsula, and maybe actualy put some faces with names of all the rowdy crowd here.:beer2:
    Will

2. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Yup, me and John will be there the whole week. As for malted beverage, I think we can tap the keg a day early if you're out there! :)

3. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

James/John: What day are you guys getting out there? I'll be out there THIS weekend (Fri Sat Sun Feb 10-12). I'll be fishing in the AMs and hanging with the wife & dog in the afternoons. Were staying at Kalaloch, between the Queets and Hoh.

Look for a blue VW beetle with a rocket box if you're at one of the access points. It would be cool to say hi and share some insight.

i am still thinking about the event the following weekend but don't know if I can swing this 2 weeks in a row.

ChrisW

4. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

It's looking more and more like I won't be making it. Will probabably just do a day trip a little closer to home.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

Well I did the math on the mileage thing and came up with 250 miles one way no matter which way I have to come so it is home I will stay. To bad that they don't have a straight thru shot but there isn't any. Besides there are mountains in the way.

Sorry,

Jim

6. James Mello

Gah! And to think that the weather decided to cooperate Jim! Oh well, if you came, we'd just have all that much more fun. Now without you showing up, we'll just have to have less fun ;)

-- Cheers
    -- James

7. ibn

ibn Moderator

Home Page:
    Hey, watch out for bigfoot out there. Stay close to the campfire at night.

8. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Is this the campsite locale? Its what I've gathered with info I've pieced together, but :confused:.

9. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

I'm planning on 225 miles just to see you.

10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

ht75,

Good job with google earth or whatever. I just love that space-bird's-eye-view of the landscape. That's the place. Just look for the sign after you cross the Hoh.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

11. James Mello

Hehehe... In Tacoma you'd pass a lot of Ho's on Pacific Avenue... HT75, keep in mind that it's off of Highway 101, not near SeaTac, or Northgate, etc... ;)

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

What do you know about them ho's,James. You sound like you know it all. Been teasting the waters so to speak.

Jim

13. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Hey man, no joke, I was camping solo up above Humes Ranch on the Elwha late last August, when no campfires were allowed, and right in the middle of a song I was rendering off tune, a HIDEOUS AWFUL HOWLING erupted not more than 50 yard directly behind me in the pitch darkness. It was like nothing I had ever heard, and I've listened to coyotes hundreds of times. It was quite un-nerving to encounter a possibly hostile critic under those circumstances....and all I had for self defense was my lockblade knife, a Swiss Army knife, my 9-foot 6wt, and my hiking staff.

I shone my LED headlamp into the darkness, looking for eyes reflecting, but seeing nothing, and banged my spoon on the bottom of my stainless steel pot. I was tempted to start a fire, but I hadn't gathered wood because of the campfire ban in effect. It was really freaky being there alone in the total darkness (almost a New Moon) after that bloodcurdling howl going off so near!

It had to have been Bigfoot!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I'm not making this up!

And ibn, it cracks me up to hear you say "bigfoot," anyway...I heard a rumor you wear a size 18 boot.

Jimbo

14. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Hey Beadhead, Andy Carey and I might head up that way this Saturday, maybe to the Queets, unless that last big slide is dirtying it up. If the visibility is zilch, we'll go somewhere else. We'll keep our eyes peeled for your rig.

Jimbo

15. ibn

ibn Moderator

Home Page:
    JAWS - queets looked pretty good vis wise on Tuesday. I bet it will be tits if the weather stays the same.

I'm a bigfoot believer. One of my quinalt buddies said they have 2 names for bigfoot, and not only is there the big bigfoot, but they also have a small childlike bigfoot, they call em the little people.