What cataraft?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by PontoonerinOregon, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Wow old thread. I have a set of 10 year old Maxxons and still going strong. They are a first set of the "new style" steelheader tubes.

2. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Shawn,

Yeah, I didn't see the date until Jerry mentioned the "really old thread" in his response.

Jerry, We used to call the old style pontoons "the old Dutch shoe", since they had such a high sweeping arch on the front and back. They have long since replaced them with a flatter style.

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Surprisingly mine are virtually flat. Have almost no rise. I think mine were the first sets that Bill had designed for him (or were the ones he produced himself before transfering it over). I do know he did make tubes at one time. I never asked about later on, mostly because I still had my whitewater grade boats I was using for big boats and my original 9' Steelheader that the tubes were made here. I do know the tubes I have are actually the ones he made for the Oregon Dept of Fish and Game (10' tubes that are hunter green).

4. themaninthemoon

themaninthemoon Just waiting on warmer weather, .......

Kent, do you have any pictures of how you've got your 'toon loaded? Or would you have any pics of the one sitting next to yours with the grey tubes?

5. shawn k

shawn k Member

What i find funny is Aire and Sotar a copying the old Maxxon tubes with their Legend and Wave Destroyer boats.

6. TonyZ

TonyZ Member

I have a 16' SOTAR (made in Oregon) with a woven mesh walking beck on the aluMinum frame. Its great to fish off of and amazing whitewater rig. I use mine from lake trips with 4 folks to multiple day trips on the Salmon river in ID. SOTAR has blow out deals from time to time, check their site. It's a great local family company and they will treat you right with anything that may come up. I decided local over china and Mexico made stuff like Aire, NRS, etc.

7. shawn k

shawn k Member

All Aire boat with the exception of the tributary line are Made Near Boise Idaho. So i would consider Aire a local company as well.

8. TonyZ

TonyZ Member

Good to know Shawn k, thanks