Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

What do you think of tying a bunny strip...

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Bighorn Flies 
#1 ·
across the joint on an articulated streamer?

My novice thinking says it would be an efficient use of time and materials (read: add a dash of lazy). But at the same time I suspect it would impact the fly's motion enough to render the technique useless. Make sure to leave enough slack?

I had the idea today while on a ferry going away from my vice. In fact, I'm at least 30 hours away from my vice and dying to get back to it.

#5 ·
what do you mean across the joint? I tie many of my bunny strip and pine squirrel strip flies to the rear hook first and then tie the rear/stinger to the front hook or shank. I then bring the strip from the stinger across the fire line and then tie it onto the front hook, then depending on the fly I will leave it loose on the rear of the hook and after tying on the body bring the same strip up and tie to the front of the front hook. Good example is the Sculpzilla. Check it out.
jesse

#6 ·
I'm with Jesse on this one, I don't exactly understand what you mean. A lot of my articulated bunny patterns I'll tie the strip onto the stringer hook. It might take a little away from the action, but it helps with short strikes especially if you have a heavy hook on that sinks away from the leather, or a super long zonker tail coming off that has a mind of it's own (I often fish 4"-5" articulated bunny patterns for large bows and bulls). So I often tie them both ways, and I've been known to poke the stinger through the leather if I get short strikes on a pattern without the stinger attached. Maybe I just don't understand what you mean? If I did understand you correctly, try it both ways, I feel they both have a purpose.

Also, you don't take a vice with you on your travels? Weird! I almost always have a vice with some tying materials with me everywhere I go. Even when I'm at work it's just right out in my car, waiting for my lunch break.

Sly

#7 ·
Jason, you mean wrappping it forward as opposed to tying it off at the eye of the rear hook then restarting at the bend of the front hook/shank? Might reduce the movement a bit, but more movement than a long straight shank would have. If you do mean a straight strip, unwrapped, nothing wrong with tying it in both front and back, unless you hope to change hooks out when dulled/broken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.