What exactly is a click-and-pawl reel?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by msteudel, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

I stand corrected by BJG.

I just checked the SA website and they do still sell the System I reel, which is click & pawl, but I haven't seen it in shops for quite a while. I have one and have used it hard. I like it because it is lightweight and functional (and sings when a fish is taking line), but, like he says, it is not a quality piece of hardware. They manufactured a batch of spools with plastic gears in the C&P mechanism that failed after only a few hours of use (the original spools were metal and reliable). I had to replace two and when a third failed, I eventually replaced the reel.

2. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Yeah that was the reel. Mine had plastic gears. I bought two. One for a floating line and one with a sinking line for lake fishing. The gear on the one spooled with floating line broke almost immediatly after hooking my first fish, and the second one broke after 30 or so seconds on my third fish. They were both 20+ inch triploids but still.....

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I guess I should have said the Ross and the Abel were the last 'quality' CP reels made in my previous post! Seems to me that Cabelas had a CP reel for a while too although I don't see it in their current catalog. Wonder if it was made for them by SA?

K

4. Preston

Preston Active Member

Here's a picture of my click-and-pawl Medalist 1494. It may well be that this is a pre-drag model (the drag was introduced in 1937). I'm not sure that the click-and-pawl 1494 was eliminated from the line-up when the drag was introduced but this is obviously an early model as indicated by the round line guard, amber-colored handle and aluminum spool latch.

While a strong disc drag is essential for large, fast, saltwater fish like dorado, sailfish and tarpon I don't feel they are really necessary for trout or even steelhead. I've lost count of the number of steelhead I've landed on my old Hardy St. Aidan which has an adjustable (sort of) click-and-pawl mechanism and, of course, no palming rim. The tension is set to the point that the spool doesn't over-run when stripping line off the reel which is just what I would set it to if I were using a reel with a disc drag. Although I have quite a few more reels than I need, many of them with disc drags, I have never felt that I was at any sort of a disadvantage with one of my old Hardys.

5. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Doesn't sage make a 3000 series C&P still? :confused:

6. Kent Lufkin

Beats me. I never regarded Sage as a 'real' reel manufacturer :rofl: Unlike makers such as Hardy, Abel, and Ross who perform the process manufacturing in-house, aren't Sage reels usually built to their specs by others?

K

7. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

I have a nice little TFO 1 reel for my 3wt - brand new click n' pawl (but only comes in the 1 size)

8. jobyksu

jobyksu Long Drift Trouter

Made by others or not, their 2580 will clamp down on running Stripers pretty darn well.

And yes, there is a 3000 with a click & pawl. It uses a plastic clicker. I didn't like it at all, mainly because of the c&p - I prefer nice quiet reels. Give me a GLoomis Venture anyday...

9. Porter

Porter Dancing on Water

I thought it might be the price tag :clown:

Doesn't the venture have plastic too :confused:

10. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Aren't you forgetting about the Islander IR series?

11. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

I really like my little Ross Colorado... great reel for cutthroat on the sound!

12. Kent Lufkin

Hard to forget something I never knew ;) I'm sure there are other CP reels out there.

K

13. jobyksu

jobyksu Long Drift Trouter

$100 for a fun reel is hard to beat :thumb:

I was referring to the pawl actually being plastic. I've got no problem with that. The only time I really worry about plastic in my reels is when they try to slip in plastic bushings. And that, the Venture does not have.

14. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Here is a shot of a Hardy Sunbeam showing the exposed palming rim.
    Not the most attractive model Hardy ever produced but then, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

TC

15. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Click/pawl is the way to go. As others have mentioned, there's nothing like a hot fish burning line off a Hardy.

I fish with a Marquis Salmon. I haven't had a problem landing steelhead. I've had fun with some chums. One of my last outings a chum ran so fast the rim cut into my finger when I was palming it. It was on the Skagit and that fish had room to run off 60 yrds in seconds. Man that was one speedy fish, and yet I had no problem with line overrun. Palm rim was feeling sticky and l look down to see my reel covered in blood. Still, I wouldnt fish any other way if I could.

I damaged one of my Hardy reels and it is in for repair. On the spey pages site, someone was saying that Hardy may re-introduce the Marquis's again. I e-mailed Hardy on the topic, but received no reply. What I would Jone's for is a click pawl with the sound of a Hardy and the finish of an Abel.

After fishing with a click-pawl, it is hard to go back to a disc drag. Why would anyone want a strong drag system in the NW. Its like you hook the fish and see a wild ballet in motion with a click pawl. The alternative with a disc drag is like watching some one try to pull a semi with their teeth. Strain...inch....stain...inch...dead.

Joe