what fly for salt?

S

stewart dee

I am going to fish some salt now since the C&R season is at an end. Any top five flies? I need to think about some time with the vise and some salt materials. I have considered poppers and small bait-fish? Thanks.
My plan is to just walk the train tracks along beach-front and scope for fishy water.

NomDeTrout

Fly Guy Eat Pie
i usually stick with different variations of clouser minnows, lefty's deceiver, different euphasid patterns, etc. haven't had too much success with poppers but i haven't exactly put in much time to it either.

Does anybody know if surf perch will take a fly on the surface (like a popper)? I've been thinking about this off and on for the past month and haven't found an answer yet.

Jason

rotato

what do you think mr. Miyawaki would say?
that guy crushes

i also use a surface fly which is more like a gurgler
clousers
decievers
wooly buggers in black or olive
and a floating euphasiid that you can flick right on the beach when the tide is pushing into estuaries

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
I continue to devote a lot of my time to my "Popsicle Stick". Size 6 for sea run cutthroat, Size 4 for coho. It ain't fancy, but I'm still working on that. I have had tremendous success with this fly. I fish it relatively slow to moderate speed for cutthroat, and fast for coho.

The tie is:

Tail: Dirty white Arctic Fox Tail
Body: Hot Florescent Pink Ultra Thread (1/3rd to 1/2 of front portion for the hook)
Lower Wing: Florescent Pink or Red Angel Hair or Fibers (provides the flash)
2nd Lower Wing: Poly Marabou Florescent Pink
3rd Lower Wing: Sparse Hot Pink or Medium Pink Calf Tail
Top Wing: Chartruese Calf Tail

NomDeTrout

Fly Guy Eat Pie
larry, great fly. I tie something similar with olive or chartreuse, pink, and white belly except I create a head profile with epoxy to finish it off. Tied on a size 6 or 8.

S

stewart dee

I like the info, Thanks. I do look forward to hookups on a popper, it will be exciting for a visual on a vicious popper take. I expect a chrome popper head followed up with chartreuse and white body can make up a deadly combo?

Mike T

Google, miyawaki popper, and look at the images, you'll see there are different color combinations. For instance here's a pink one, http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://opff.org/assets/flies/beach_popper.jpg&imgrefurl=http://opff.org/a_campbells_beach_popper.php&usg=__ST_NqJWUad4Am6u0xjlrUBWK4lw=&h=300&w=400&sz=10&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=-ZZFHyT_3mFHFM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmiyawaki%2Bpopper%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1.

Also I suggest you start casting while you're at the water's edge, then cast a 180 degree arc. With a popper I find you pick up a good number of cutts in very shallow water.

Ed Call

Chum fry, they are a predatory fish food source.
Sand lance, when not hibernating they are a predatory fish food source.
Thorn river emerger, I like how it looks and it has worked for me.
Poppers, the Miyawaki or your own creation, very exciting build up to the dance.
Reverse spiders, all that pulsating action will find fish if they are around.

kelvin

I continue to devote a lot of my time to my "Popsicle Stick". Size 6 for sea run cutthroat, Size 4 for coho. It ain't fancy, but I'm still working on that. I have had tremendous success with this fly. I fish it relatively slow to moderate speed for cutthroat, and fast for coho.

The tie is:

Tail: Dirty white Arctic Fox Tail
Body: Hot Florescent Pink Ultra Thread (1/3rd to 1/2 of front portion for the hook)
Lower Wing: Florescent Pink or Red Angel Hair or Fibers (provides the flash)
2nd Lower Wing: Poly Marabou Florescent Pink
3rd Lower Wing: Sparse Hot Pink or Medium Pink Calf Tail
Top Wing: Chartruese Calf Tail

does that come in other flavors?
have you tried

rotato

fished a gurgler this morning in the back of an estuary
big splash
maybe 3 feet of water
i knew i had only one or two shots at him
the water is super clear

cast the foamie out thereand was short
next cast flew right over the spot
two hard strips that caused two bubbles and the slab flew out of the water and down on to the fly
this rezzie had huge belly
missed him
three more strips and a the fly is gone
but alas it surfaces w/o the fish

he was spooked after that and wouldnt chase the reverse spider or the bugger
o well im supposed to be working anyhow

note: the fish was active during dead low tide (for every rule... )

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
fished a gurgler this morning in the back of an estuary
big splash
maybe 3 feet of water
i knew i had only one or two shots at him
the water is super clear

cast the foamie out thereand was short
next cast flew right over the spot
two hard strips that caused two bubbles and the slab flew out of the water and down on to the fly
this rezzie had huge belly
missed him
three more strips and a the fly is gone
but alas it surfaces w/o the fish

he was spooked after that and wouldnt chase the reverse spider or the bugger
o well im supposed to be working anyhow

note: the fish was active during dead low tide (for every rule... )
My friend landed the biggest sea run I have ever seen (24") on a gurgler. It was a monster. I will be experimenting further in that area...