what fly line should i use??

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jpfish, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Jpfish

Jpfish Active Member

I am fairly new to fly fishing. I am going up to pass lake soon and all i have right now is floating line. Any ideas on what would be the best kind of line to purchase?
    Thanks

2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Full sink, the faster, the better. You want to get the fly down to where the fish are quicker, no sense in sitting around waiting...;)

Jpfish likes this.
  3. Jpfish

Jpfish Active Member

thank you.

4. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

I agree with Roper,
    and add a uniform sink, a clear camo,
    a sink tip,
    two or three more spools for your reel
    (or two or three more reels)
    and extra rod or three
    (so you don't have to waste time)
    and a big truck to haul that new
    raft, boat, or travel trailerto your
    favorite spot.

Quit now before it's to late,

Dave

Jager, mtskibum16, Jeff Dodd and 3 others like this.
  5. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Ok, I have been playing around with this concept quite a bit. Your best bet is your floater. There is not a depth that you can not fish with your floater. If you are limited to one line the floater is your line. I fish all the depth zones of Pass with a floater without hesitation. I also use an indicator and flies that are not traditional to the indicator. For example the last time I was out I caught fish on a Pat's Stone under an indicator there. Learn where the fish are eating and what they are eating and you can almost always catch them on the indicator if you match that and what it is doing.

6. Jpfish

Jpfish Active Member

7. Jpfish

Jpfish Active Member

how do i get my floating line that far down?

8. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

You use a long leader and an indicator. You also want to use a heavy fly. If fish are eating in a certain zone, then you want to keep your fly in that zone and an indicator allows you to keep your fly in exactly the zone you want to fish. Most things trout are eating are not moving at a fast, medium or even a slow strip pace, they are moving very slowly. An indicator also allows you then to mimic what the bugs are actually doing.

9. Jpfish

Jpfish Active Member

ok thank you for the advice! i think i need a guide to just show me what to do haha i was up there on tuesday and got skunked!

10. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I am occasionally available with an open seat and I don't charge guide prices. Just beer or whiskey prices. Ford knows the waters well but he fishes out of a float tube and I don't believe, that he likes people sitting on his lap as he fishes.

11. Jpfish

Jpfish Active Member

I would love the opportunity to fish the lake with someone who knows the water well! I'd definitely buy the whiskey and or beer!

12. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

By all means take Ira up on his open seat offer . . .that's how I got rolling in the chironomid game. But just to offer another perspective, we all have days when casting and stripping with a full sink line is what's working. I never fish a lake without having options to hang flies under an indicator with a floater or strip bugs with a sinker. There are days the fish key in to one presentation but usually I need to switch back and forth throughout the day. There are times when the only thing that works is trolling . . .:)

Jpfish likes this.
  13. KenChar

KenChar New Member

Howdy, I'm new the forum and headed up the Pass Lake Saturday. I only have a floating line as well for this weekend. I was reading a few posts about the place and it sounds like a lot of fun. Any tips on flies to use? I read you were using leaches with good results at some points.

14. KenChar

KenChar New Member

I'm also going afternoon (1-2p) to dark

15. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Ira is absolutely correct. If you can only have one line, a floater will cover just about every scenario imaginable. However, if you have a few bucks burning a hole in your pocket, and are interested in broading your stillwater experience, my suggestion would be one of the clear camo intermediate lines. My person favorite is the Rio Camo Lux, but you would be best served casting them all and deciding what you like. I find this to be an extremely versatile line. Great for casting streamers/leeches, let it sink longer to get deeper, immediately strip to stay fairly shallow. Another line that I use in a very similar fashion is a Type 3 full sink. I tend to go to the type 3 when going deeper, but it doesn't sink so fast that I can't use it to cover higher up in the water column if necessary.

If you get more and more into stillwater fishing, you will end up with a boatload of lines. When I go out in my pram I generally have 6 rods strung up for various situations, and its nice to be able to quickly adjust my tactics on the fly. Ultimately though, a guy can catch an awful lot of fish with a floater and an intermediate, or hell even just a floater if necessary.

And definitely try to hook up with Ira if you get the chance. Would be well worth the effort.

Denny and Jpfish like this.