Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

What food do you take with you for a multiple day fishing trip?

5K views 40 replies 35 participants last post by  Tony Mull 
G
#1 ·
I'm planning a three day trip down to the North Umpqua and was making a list of essentials to take along. I got curious to know of any good ideas you all had of food to take for a three day camp-n-fish endeavor. (The beer is a no-brainer, as long as it's Black Butte Porter :beer1: !)

RedSpey

#27 ·
just got back from montana. i was the meal planner and cook for the trip. here's what we ate...

breakfasts: oatmeal, fruit, coffee and moose drool.

lunches: none. eat a big breakfast, pack some moose drool and fish all day.

dinners: salmon (coho caught by me the day before we left), pork loin, flank steak and chicken. prepared and grilled with assorted marinades and rubs. served with potatoes, corn, salad, bread, baked beans, rice, california pinot noir and moose drool.

desserts: macallan 12 year, cuban cigars (cohibas smuggled in by my wife) and moose drool.

snacks: energy bars (i prefer the Larabar), peanuts, beef jerky, potatoe chips and moose drool.

t

#30 ·
Old man said:
Gin,Gin. I thought that you were a Rum guy :p :p

Jim
Oh, I am! your correct :p , but the topic was food and I love the olives and the gin goes better with olives, ,, now the rum, well its better with the donettes and coffee in the AM- especially the powdered sugar ones. Probably 100 wrappers laying around my Jeep from morning breakfasts.

#31 ·
I have done some "go light" over nighters before and found a good menu is Hawiian pizza. Pick up a couple large or extra large Hawaiian pizzas (part as dinner) the night before, re-package into some gallon ziplocks and you're good to go. No muss, no fuss, no stove, fuel, plates,etc. We all know pizza is good cold but Hawaiian packs well, has all the food groups and isn't greasy. Worked quite well and no cleanup required. Seriously, not bad.
Slightly less recommended was a trip taken earlier when I packed in route by ordering 21 regular McDonalds cheese burgers to go. Wasn't terrible but they did get old after a dozen or so.

#32 ·
The above post was regarding food for hiking trips. For car camping I usually have my "go box" which is a large plastic box with all the necessary cooking stuff (including a single burner stove) but I frequently just use for coffee. Can do much more if wanted but I frequently eat out leaving more time for the "fun stuff". Another tip from the top is to bring 2 coolers IF your packing food. One is just for drinks and the ice stays clean for cocktails. Heavy on the Jack please.

#36 ·
pre-cooked chili/stew/one-pot-meal frozen in a half-gallon milk container makes for ice block in cooler and allows for room for catch after consumption. pork roast from costco wrapped in good amount of foil in dutch oven or directly in fire then shredded makes for great pork tacos... PM me for recipie, and of course steaks are always easy. If you're not the cooking type...and have a billy goat's gut, try your local army surplus and snatch a few MRE's and take some extra Chalula/Tobasco. And as eveyone else has stated there is never enough dark barley pops or Jagger for any occasion. Add the head med's for the morning after ( I like to pop 'em before passing out) and some dried goods for the pockets and you're good as gold!
Oh.... and a can of fresh Cope is always in order... For 18 yrs and above....right?! :thumb:
bon appetite!

#37 ·
Simple, cheap, easy to pack, and easy to cook while having no need for keeping things cold or cool meets my definition of easy meals for a camping/fishing trip (not backpacking). Therefore, I would take what I've been taking since I was a teen back in the late 1960's, namely: 1) coffee, since I like good coffee I grind the beans before I go and put it into a Tupperware or similar container along with a measuring scoop; 2) pancake mix, all you do is add water; 3) pancake syrup in a plastic bottle; 4) canned things like chili, ravioli, spaghetti, stew, corned beef, macaroni & cheese, etc., all you need to do is take the top off the can, heat it on the camp stove, and you have a meal; 5) powdered milk, just add it to my coffee or add water if I want milk; 6) a few gallons of water, can be tap water or whatever spring or purified water you desire; 7) Gatoraid mix or something similar, helps replenish the eletrolites you lose when walking the river and casting; and 8) fresh apples or any dried fruit, cut and add to the pancake mix for a great breakfast or to eat as a snack or dessert;

As can be readily seen, it isn't gourmet; but it will keep you alive in a more or less nutritionally ballanced manner. And none of these items needs to be kept cool or cold. No fuss, no muss.

#40 ·
Jetboils and vacumn packed meals! Usually leftovers from dinner or breakfast; seal it up in the pint sized bags and toss them in the freezer. Hot coffee[fresh ground if you want], a hot meal on the river and another back at camp. We just spent 3 days floating the Yak, camped at Red's and all we had were 2 each of: jetboils, coffee cup, spoon and fork. Takes 5-10 minutes to heat up a meal and NO cleanup!

#41 ·
depends on the fishing and time of year. usually there's no hurry to get going in the morning for my fishing so i like a huge breakfast: Sausage, eggs & cheese, cottage cheese and fruit. Lunch is a protein bar, maybe some jerky or peanuts. Dinner is big again usually steak or chicken on a grill to limit cleanup, mushrooms in foil, onions in foil, and salad with fruit for desert. Usually eat dinner at about 4-5 PM so i can get back out for the evenings fishing. in the fall when there's less time to fish i may eat dinner after dark, although cooking when i can't see can be hazardous for me. in that case i add a little more lunch and a little less dinner. On other trips i may only boil water for coffee and subsist on peanut butter, protein bars, fruits and nuts to maximize fishing time. i tend to cook less in bear country so there's no smelly grills, or scraps. makes me sleep better. They make MRE's now with the heat built in, supposed to be pretty good, but too high carb for my blood sugar. Long ago we used to make pan breads that were pretty dang good, or maybe we were just hungry. fresh salmon, potatoes, and onions scrambled up together in butter is mighty fine, but the surest way to get skunked it to count on eating fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.