What grain to use?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Brook hunter, Dec 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Keep in mind the 300g I recommended is for a shooting head type system.
    It is common to upline by two or three line weights when using a shooting head system.

The specs Lue listed are AFTMA standards. Those are recommended line weight per rod weights.

Comparing a shooting head type systems to AFTMA standards is really an apples to oranges comparison.
    There are no absolutes when it comes to what lines you can use on specific rod weights.
    SF

2. VIUcutthroat

VIUcutthroat Active Member

Sorry: n.b. = note below (I just use it to emphasize something)....... and N.A. is just my shorthand abbreviation for North America.

3. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

I took a friend to Gig Harbour fly shop to figure a line for him to put on his 6wt Finwick glass. The guy took him out on a grassy spot put a reel on his rod and let him cast a few lines. We walked away with a line wt and a suggtion of a good brand to buy.

VIUcutthroat, jasmillo and shotgunner like this.
  4. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Just looking to sabotage this guys game or what? -Fact- AFTMA standard: archaic and obsolete over majority of modern application.

To the original poster. You might consider picking up a couple Airflo 5' Sinking Poly Leaders in corresponding sink rates to your line(s). These can add 30 to as much as 50 grains.. enough to often make a line a little on the light side into a very workable one.

Best of luck

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Stonefish likes this.
  5. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

I agree that it's accurately rated as an 8wt. I bought that same rod before a trip to the Bahamas a few years ago. I wanted a "emergency" outfit that would fit in my carry-on backpack. That was a good thought because we were late getting into Miami and barely made our flight to Nassau.

Like most Cabelas rods, it casts nice. Not super-fast, but forgiving, and a good rod for a beginner. The 8wt Cortland clear-camo intermediate I lined it with seemed well matched and fished fine, if a bit "supple" in the bathwater there.

By some miracle I even managed to put it to a decent test on the five-ish pound bone in my avatar. The thought never entered my mind that I wasn't fighting that fish on premium brand rod.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    VIUcutthroat likes this.