What hand do you cast with and do you reel in with the same?

I cast with my dominant hand and reel in with the same.

• Total voters
cast right, reel left. Unless I'm spey casting. Then it depends on whether I'm river left or right. Sometimes its easier to cast with non dominant hand as strong hand in a two handed cast (depending on wind and side of river you cast from). I ALWAYS reel with the left.

Greg Armstrong

OldRodsHaveMoreFun

I remember that! Didn't it look like the Chicago Bears logo or something?
Since the photobucket fiasco I've yet to reload my photos elsewhere. There's a few in the gallery here tho...
I've got a near mint leaded, red agate, Young stamped, with a spare spool 10B in the box. It's sporting a little box rash but that's it. I'll try to get some pics up in the bamboo forum.
Here's my old avatar. Yep, someone on here thought it was the Chicago Bears symbol.
You've got a holy grail with that reel, box, spare... I'll watch for a photo on the bamboo section.

A few more right handers. How can one resist using these?

longputt

If you've caught a lot of large fish in the same day you'll wonder why this is even a question. You can't afford to tire out your casting arm when fighting fish...always cast right and reel right (unless you cast left then you should reel left).

If you haven't caught a lot of large fish in one day you won't understand!

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
If you've caught a lot of large fish in the same day you'll wonder why this is even a question. You can't afford to tire out your casting arm when fighting fish...always cast right and reel right (unless you cast left then you should reel left).

If you haven't caught a lot of large fish in one day you won't understand!
Lol

This doesn't seem to make much sense, unless you're 8 years old and 68 pounds...
There's really people who fish, and get worn out by fish ?
Marlin sure, but ......short of that....must be desk jockey Boeing drones or something.

#sad

I spent the summer watching 25 lb albacore wear people down till they gave up.

Cast right, reel left. But if using gear rods I could use both sides

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I've caught plenty of big fish in a day, jacks, snook, tarpon, tunas, dorado....had days with 6-7 fish over 150 plus a few more at 80-100 using 11 and 12 wt rods.

It didn't cross my mind to give up, nor did it stop me from fishing the next day, or the day after that, or the day after that....

Guess some folks need to get more exercise

Cast right, reel left....

longputt

The sad thing is how many times do you go to the reel in freshwater anymore? I remember 30" 10 lb steelhead that would go deep into the backing. On the dry side of the state our steelhead are just head shaking dogs. I use Hardy's for the noise but I rarely hear a good scream from my reel with steelhead anymore.

I fought the crowds on the Mo this year just to hear my reel a few times!

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Yeah, not many burning runs in freshwater ..... But I don't fish many summeruns these days, winter fish in cold water don't light up the reel like a good teener fresh summer fish does.

Krusty

I cast with my right hand, and swill beer with the assistance of my left hand. I mastered popping open a cold one whilst still retaining a grip on the cork decades ago.

Being ambidextrous (and only being capable of 30' casts) means I can do both at the same. No reeling or stripping...I just flip the tiny stillwater stockers off my barbless hooks missing nary a hoppy sip as they repeatedly complete aerial transits above my kayak.

Last edited:

MRKbass

I cast right, drink beer and reel left. Been doing it for years. Neither arm has been too tired to perform these functions.
Mostly because I'm a Man

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
Lol! Thanks for clearing that up, Larry. Apparently I've been wasting time & money since the mid-to-late 1950's. I'd reward you with the horde of fly fishing equipment that I've amassed over the years, but then you'd have to learn to cast left & reel right which would erase your vast wealth of fly fishing knowledge. In good faith I just couldn't curse you with that . . . while I don't know shit about fly fishing, I do try to treat others with dignity & respect. Thanks again, though:D. Next . . . ?
Ha! Of course you all know I was trolling....to raise your eyebrows!