What hand do you cast with and do you reel in with the same?

I cast with my dominant hand and reel in with the same.

• Total voters

Salmo_g

Anybody casting with their right hand and reeling with their left does not have any old Hardy St George fly reel:D
Not true. I have two Hardy St. George reels and reel left handed. There is two sets of springs and pawls, so the reel can be set up for either hand. There is no law requiring that one use the agate line guard that is permanently set up for right hand wind.

gt

Anyone who is not casting with their right hand and reeling with their left hand doesn’t know shit about fly fishing.

until you start hooking really big fish that rip off 200 yards of backing on the first run and you are reeling with your non-dominant hand, you will learn grasshopper, or maybe you just trout fish!

Cast right and strip with left hand. After hookup if not on the reel I will strip in to land with left, or if on or close to being on the reel I will switch hands and reel with the right hand.

until you start hooking really big fish that rip off 200 yards of backing on the first run and you are reeling with your non-dominant hand, you will learn grasshopper, or maybe you just trout fish!
I don't get this. I mean, a fish running out doesn't involve me reeling, so.... I suppose it's possible that I could reel faster with my dominant hand with a fishing charging at me, but it strikes me that neither hand is able to keep up (i.e., take in line at the same rate) as a fast moving fish. I've had plenty of charging trout leave me slack-lined.

I don't get this. I mean, a fish running out doesn't involve me reeling, so.... I suppose it's possible that I could reel faster with my dominant hand with a fishing charging at me, but it strikes me that neither hand is able to keep up (i.e., take in line at the same rate) as a fast moving fish. I've had plenty of charging trout leave me slack-lined.

Basically gt is incapable of reeling fast enough with his non dominant hand therefore it is actually impossible for anyone else to be able to do so effectively, thus making the way he does it the "correct" way.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Either hand. I have reels on both sides. I learned to use both hands for basketball. It has stuck with a bunch of things.
Ditto. My Dad told me back in my fledgling basketball days that " . . . you were born with 2 hands. Learn to use both of them. It's pretty simple to defend a player that can only go to one side." Sound advice; it carried-over to baseball, fishing, using tools, etc. just as Charles stated. Now that Essential Tremor occasionally compromises my left/dominant hand, being able to swap-over to the right is a distinct advantage. I am now almost 100% ambidextrous - the only exception being playing the guitar. Learn to use your off-hand; As my my Dad said: ". . . you were born with 2 hands, . . ." you just might be glad that you did as you age.