What I need to know about flys sizes 18 and under?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Top in my class, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

size 18 duck would be a little quacker

2. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Your dang right they're worth the time!!! Don't overlook this. It took years to get it thru my thick head..... I rest my case. Go small. Try it, you'll like it...

3. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

In winter, a #18 midge pupae is often just the ticket, and doable on 4X. And in the cold months, if you encounter rising fish you will probably need a #20, or #22 midge emerger or griffiths gnat, which will require going to 5X. For tying these micro-flies I have one rule. KISS: keep it simple stupid. Thread bodies and closed-cell foam for the wingcase(this keeps it suspended just under the surface) make up my whole emerger pattern. Thread bodies and micro-hackle make my whole adult pattern. Pupae patterns in red, black, or blue seem to be the right colors in winter.
    Good Luck.

4. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Get some 3.00 magnification glasses so you can see to tie the flies on. :rofl:

5. Evan Salmon

Evan Salmon Active Member

Tie a bunch of them... You'll lose as many trying to tie them on as you will to fish.

6. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

7. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    Thin to win. Most WA fishers would fail miserably and do fail when it comes to understanding a trouts diet. Dont believe me? Take a throat sample and see or yourself, don't guess it, match it. Now if I could tie a #30 Daphnia. ;)

8. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

One thing that helps with small flies is to fish them dropped off a bigger, more visible fly. Like for the trico hatch in Montana, I use a #14 Royal Trude and a #22-24 trike spinner 18" off the hook bend. Works great and sometimes you will even hook a nice one on the Trude. I do the same with BWO emergers on the Missouri in the fall. The only bad thing about those small flies is seeing big trout come unbuttoned so often! Still a lot of fun! Rick