What is a good PNW winter steelhead rod??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sandspanker, May 29, 2011.

?
  1. 7wt

26 vote(s)
    38.8%
  2. 8wt

37 vote(s)
    55.2%
  3. 9wt

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. other

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. inland

inland Active Member

Justin,

Yeah that is exactly what I said. Ring Bruce and Walker up for that 20'r. Although it is 'only' an 11wt, sorry.

2. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Wow must be something wrong with me as my all around rod is a 17ft 11wght Carron and I do not own a double hander shorter than 15ft!

3. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

In my small span of experience here in the PNW (what he was inquring about) I have never seen rods over 14 ft in the winter. I would love to see you guys during winter with your 15'+ rods and carron lines. I think it would be quite educational and entertaining for the locals.

4. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Just ask our mutual friend Marty what I can do with it ;-D

5. inland

inland Active Member

Justin,

Exactly right- in your small scope.

Go back and find where I was advocating such 'oversized' tackle over what you use for winter fish?

Do you even have a lick of experience casting and fishing these bigger rods? Or do those pesky locals make all your decisions for you?

William

6. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Will, you didn't come out and say... "Thou shalt go and use 15' rods...", but you said you liked them in open waters, and then why. No big deal.

No experience at all. Never saw a need or felt a desire to fish those old outdated telephone poles :thumb:. Damn locals!

7. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

actually I take that back.... I had a sage 8150 for a bit... Nice rod, but didn't need the length/weight.. so I Sold it. But nothing bigger as far as rated rod weight.

8. inland

inland Active Member

Justin,

It comes down to where we fish, how we fish and what we find enjoyable when doing so. The guy around the corner sits there scratching his head wondering why anybody needs a two hander as his trusty 9' 7 wt is all the rod he needs. Some use switches. Some use really big rods. I don't really care for the BIG sticks, but the couple of friends that do fish them really enjoy themselves. Why judge or ridicule their choices?

The 15' rod is neither old or a telephone pole. It may not have a place in your angling. Or may not be a logical choice where you angle either. But those situations can change when one fishes the Thompson, Tay or Yokanga. And there are several winter fisheries where the big sticks are not out of place. Not required, but not out of place for those that enjoy using them.

9. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

All right kids...are we ready to play nice? William nice comment to bring us back into focus. I for myself prefer a longer rod in the winter...okay longer is very subjective, 13'6 and a 12'6 are what I'm currently using, but I'm looking to be fishing a 13'7 and the 14'8 Guideline, by next winter both in the 8/9 ...perhaps...maybe a 9/10 in the long rod. Is it over kill? I don't think so. I like the way they mend and at 5'8, with my boots on, I need every inch to get a good mend and line control at 80+ feet...I guess that's also why I hate to wade any deeper than knee deep.

10. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

The problem is that Justin probably hasn't fished anything but locally.

11. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Actually, the problem is that even something as silly as a winter rod poll can turn into a pissing match. There's plenty of conflict to go around in day-to-day life; it amazes me that folks then go looking for some more on the internet.

12. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Actually, I have no conflict in my "day-to-day" life. That's why I come here :rofl:

13. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Didn't know I had a fan club that watches my every move and knows so much about me.

14. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Feels pretty cool, huh?

15. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

I believe the point Inland was making is that no particular rod is really "needed" - it's a matter of personal preference. I didn't have much problem comprehending the point - not sure why you did TFG. I typically fish a 14 footer; sounds like that's too much stick in your opinion but why do you care what I fish? So the cool guys in SWW fish shorter rods? Big whoop. I seriously do not care.