What is fly fishing?

We should all be so fortunate as to be born into the sport. Like the young lad I once read about who's Grandfather presented him a fishing license on the day of his birth. Or Press Powell, who could not recall ever not being able to cast a fly rod. For those of us less fortunate, it is often a convoluted path from Opie style with a cane pole, bobber & worm to whatever level we take it. As long as we have enjoyed the ride, who should care?

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I use fly fishing for fun. I mean, how much fun can one have throwing flies around to catch and release all you catch. I don't eat fish, well sometimes if there are fish and chips to be bought. But mostly I don't like to eat fish. It's just a lot of fun catching them and putting them back to grow bigger.

I use fly fishing for fun. I mean, how much fun can one have throwing flies around to catch and release all you catch. I don't eat fish, well sometimes if there are fish and chips to be bought. But mostly I don't like to eat fish. It's just a lot of fun catching them and putting them back to grow bigger.
I never used to eat fish either. At least no more than I had to. Eating fish for me had always been deep fried or Mrs Paul's fish sticks. Experiencing various eclectic recipes, done properly, changed all that. I still practice C&R, but I'm not above a good Salmon fillet, or Spicy Thai Catfish. :D

JesseC

some things are fly fishing and some things are not but as soon as you lay down any type of criteria some elitist person who holds your opinion in way to high of regard gets offended because what he does does not fit the criteria for what is fly fishing. He gets offended because it's more important to him to be known as a " fly fisherman", as though such a title was actually worth something, than it is to actually fly fish...

if your line carries your lure and attachments to the target you are fly fishing.. if the weight of your lure and attachments drags your line along behind it you are gear fishing with a fly rod.

be offended as you want that's the truth.

fish how you want... don't worry about what it's called and don't worry about what other people think..
So as long as I speycast my double bead thingabobber I'm set? But, no water loading right? ;)

smallieFanatic

Kind of a B-boy.
The dictionary defines it very simply, an objective view as to what it is we actually do out on the water.

"The sport of fishing using a rod and an artificial fly as bait."

Trying to describe it in any other way is best left to the individual, as there are too many variables to determine a total encompassing definition.

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
Yep. I'm look'n for a couple of good sermons.
I'd refer you to the writings of Theodore Gordon,Izaak Walton, Dame Juliana Berners, and a host of those Greats who have led the way for the acolytes of today. Dust off thy tweeds & tie, Grease thy line, and bend on the noble Partridge & Green to thy silk thusly dressed, with veneration of Those Who Have Gone Before. (I'm getting ready to hurl, here:eek:). THAT is fishing with the fly....Barf!

Salmo_g

DFL,

No, that graphite rod and chironomid dressed with synthetic materials is not fly fishing. Fly fishing requires using a fly rod made of split Tonkin cane, or alternatively greenheart, a silk fly line, or alternatively braided horsehair, a reel made in England, drawn gut leaders, and flies tied exclusively with natural materials, excepting the man-made steel hook. That is fly fishing. And above all else it is very, very elite. All other fishing is basically knuckle-dragging, mouth breathing, redneck, worm drowning, or some variation thereof.

Or, it's whatever you think it is. Take yer choice.

Sg

Dipnet

The wanted posters say Tim Hartman
Fly fishing is dunking a piece of inanimate material in the water to try and outsmart a creature with a brain the size of a pea, and then bragging about how smart we are in the few cases where we succeed.
This reminds me of an article I just read about trout fishing. Although it was directed towards bait/gear fishing I enjoyed what the author had to say:

"What I have to explain in my classes is, when it comes to fishing you are dealing with an animal which has a brain the size of a small pea, functions totally on instinct and has probably never had a conscious thought in its life....and the fish aren't very smart either."

:D

Camo Clad Warrior

Tight Lines and Screaming Reels!
After writing a long winded post about what fly fishing is to me, and deleting it, I have realized.......

The true definition of "fly fishing" is the individual fisherman himself.