What is the best (quietest & fastest) electric pontoon pump?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by David Holmes, Jan 22, 2005.

1. David Holmes

David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Home Page:
    I hate my electric pump. It plugs into my cigarette lighter and adequately inflates my 6' pontoons, but it's louder than a chainsaw and takes about 8-10 minutes per pontoon! Unacceptable.

I'm ready to upgrade! What is the cadillac of electric pumps?

p.s. I searched the forum for this top but didn't see it. My apologies if I missed this already.

2. David Butterfield

David Butterfield New Member

3. Jim Jones

Jim Jones flytosser

I have a Bravo 12 electric pump that is awesome. Don't know if I would have bought it just for my float tubes and pontoon boat, I also have an 11' Zodiac that is its primary purpose.

It is FAST. But definitely not quiet. The newer version has user settable PSI settings from 2.2 to 4.0 to insure you don't over inflate. (My older one defaults to 3.2 PSI which works great on most of my stuff.) And it is awesome when you are deflating as it really sucks the air out and makes storing things really nice.

http://www.western-marine.com/page132.htm

Jim

4. David Holmes

David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Home Page:
    Butterfield -- does it plug into a cigarette lighter? Or do I have to bring my own 12 volt battery?

5. David Butterfield

David Butterfield New Member

you have to use a 12 volt battery, we just open up the hood and use the trucks.

6. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

The best is without a doubt the metro air which comes in 3 configurations: power point plug 12V; 12V alligator clips; or 110V wall plug. I use it to fill 11 ft. by 19" dia. tubes in about 60 seconds each. You can see it at the following address as an example, not affiliated with the manufacturer or the reseller listed.

http://www.seattletraders.com/air-pumps.html

Regards

7. Happy Gilmore

Happy Gilmore New Member

Great thread I wish I'd seen about 5-6 weeks ago:) I"ve got 2 crap electric 12V compressors here in Smither on my trip/one didn't even start up. 2nd wasn't good for more than a couple minutes.

I didn't see much info on the metro with all 3 charge options.

I just ordered the Blast 12 (but with battery/12v or 110V charge options) for $150 from waterstriders site (nice site with fine gadgets I'd never viewed/sucked some cash from me). Opted for it over the smaller LVM's as it's got the regulator (so I can easily 3/4" inflate/then top off with no hand use in ideal conditions) and built in batter so regardles of location etc. I just goofed and ran out my SUV battery tonight doing a trial construction with the 2 crap ee pumps....ran my stereo/other items lots with vehicle off and never a battery issue/no idea what did it in tonight but the boostkit/pack did it's job. Plus my rig's got 110 so easy to charge up the blast mate as I'm usually using the 12V for sat. radio or donut detection.

Cheers.

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

I don't think that any pump that runs off of battery power is going to be quiet. I had one for my toon but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. But I used that and then topped it off with a hand pump. As I found out that any pump that is electric doesn't fill it up all the way.

Jim

I just had a brain fart and it came to me. Well it was there for a second. :(

9. gt

gt Active Member

LVM!!!!!!!!!! hand down the very best. thats why the rafting outfitters use it!!!

the 12' cat comes up in about 3 minutes/tube to about 2psi. top off with about 20 strokes of the hand pump and head out.

10. Preston

Preston Active Member

Quiet and fast are mutually exclusive terms where air pumps are concerned. You're moving a large quantity of air quickly; the result is a certain amount of noise. I'm a real fan of the LVM impeller pump. It's a bit loud (not nearly as loud as a chainsaw) but fills all three chambers of my 12 1/2-foot Achilles in less than five minutes.

11. sashjo

sashjo Member

Quiet and fast? Try a manual double pump. I always politely decline when offered an electric pump. No wonder obesity is an epidemic in this country.

12. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Coffee just came out my nose. Perhaps the funniest post I've seen in the past month. :rofl:

K