NFR What Is (was) Your Job?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Robert Engleheart, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Almost 35 years at UC Davis; Lecturer in Mediecal History, Senior Adviser for Undergraduate Admissions, and for five years in addition to teaching and reviewing student portfolios, head coach for the UC Davis Nordic Ski Team 1985-1990, with 5 league championships, one kid to U.S. Development team, and one who became the National Champion in triathlon for his age group. I had some talented athletes on the team! I also used to guide for trout in the summers for awhile, in addition to other dabblings.

ribka and Skysoldier like this.
  2. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Wow! What a great bunch of talent here. One reason I started this. In addition to the obvious, like Leland (Orvis manager and afficionado of fine scotch and cigars), I knew there are some interesting people out there.

Alex,
    My Da was a Classics (Greek & Latin) major at Cambridge, but he was also very interested in the Arthurian tales; Renault, etc. Still love that stuff.

3. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Makes two of us, Robert! I could do the "shining armor" stuff, but draw the line at the horse:D

4. TB

TB Member

Commercial HVAC/R Service Tech, loving every minute of it. Work for a manufacturer now where the systems they have now challenge me to improve upon them for efficiency and manufacturing needs, and upgrading the DDC controls. I plan to go back to school and become a Mech. Eng. (Since I tend to unofficially operate in that capacity anyways)

5. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

Nine years as production chemist and 23 as environmental scientist for Eastman Kodak in Rochester, NY. Retired in 2006 at 55, moved to Orlando, FL and became a contract environmental auditor. Recession in 2008 made me look for a real job again and found one with Energy Northwest in Tri-Cities.

6. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

TB,
    Do it! I've worked with a lot of ME's and the best are the ones who have some skill sets to go with the diploma; one's who started out like you. There is no substitute for practical experience.

7. Paul Norton

Paul Norton Member

Software Developer. Started working for Aldus, which was later acquired by Adobe. Laid off after 18 years. Now I have my own business & contract out. Lately doing mostly web & mobile stuff, but occasionally dabble in server-side development.

8. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I'll bet you know Ted Johnson. I worked with him at Visio, and now once again at Microsoft where I'm a Product Planner.

9. Topstoy

Topstoy Member

28 years in the Oil Refining business, 21 years of operations and the last 7 in the Process Control Engineering group. Soon to retire....

10. Paul Norton

Paul Norton Member

Heard the name, never met him. Now that I check via LinkedIn I realize why. He left Aldus a couple of months before I joined.

11. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Graduated Seattle Pacific U in Chemistry in 1971, U of W Dental School in 1975. I've had a private practice in Bellingham since then. I am in negotiations to sell my practice to a younger dentist later this year. I plan to work a day a week for a few years since I still love what I do (especially cosmetic dentistry!) and spend a lot more time at my cabin in Winthrop. Looking forward to more skiing, fly fishing and bird hunting! Alex-I grew up in San Jose,and was accepted at UC Davis-almost went there undergraduate, and was an alternate for their med school after my junior year in college before changing to dentistry (which proved to be such a good decision for me!), and I really like that school! Rick

12. BoneCollector

BoneCollector Lost my MARBLES!!!!!

Home Page:
    9 years as a professional fishing guide in Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and Alaska! Thats the only profession I have had so far!

rfly05 likes this.
  13. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

graduated from eastern in 1966. taught chem ,physics, and math at othello for 30 years. also coached wrestling,football, high school bowl, fly tying and fly fishing. did 10 triathlons, 20 plus bloomsdays and several half marathons. mike w

ribka likes this.
  14. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I've had many; Lifeguard, US Army Infantryman/Drill Sergeant, Construction Worker, and finally found my calling as a teacher. I have 44 school days left until retirement after 26 years in a classroom and hundreds of students.

ribka, Skysoldier and wadin' boot like this.
  15. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Similar here Steve, I started lifeguarding and teaching swim lessons when I was 15. I did that as well as coaching swimming at all levels; age group, high school, masters and college for almost ten years. While in college I also worked In Residence life as an RA. After college I managed a swim club before I finally realized that I pursued my degree in ed for a reason and I've been in the same fifth grade classroom now for 15 years.

wadin' boot likes this.