NFR What Is (was) Your Job?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Robert Engleheart, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Jon Brengan

Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

Wow....I probably did this whole career thing backwards, while the rest of y'all were out getting a college education after HS, I figured since I hated school it was time to figure out life. I baked for a couple years ( in the bakery bussiness and in my mind), then turned my talents in the kitchen to cooking where I did any job that would get me a free seasons pass at many ski areas. I also cooked for mount rainier climbs just as a way to spend time up high. I lived in the woods for 20+ years trying on many hats all of which allowed me plenty of fishing time and not much cash-ola! I worked a summer guiding in AK at a fly fishing camp because I thought I liked the sound of being a guide - many days I out-fished the other guides and that pissed them off, I was never asked back...LOL. That was okay with me because although I like helping others get into fly fishing and catching fish, I'd rather catch them too. In 1990 I got married to my best friend and had to start living life in a different plane. I worked at Harborview Medical Center as a Diet Technician, then went to Xray school and loved it. I am currently doing that job, living in Seattle, just bought a home on a hill above the Snohomish River. I played for many years saw stuff that no one really sees in nature. Now I have a career that is thrilling me and allowing me to still continue to pursue my passion of fly fishing, fly tying and sharing that with others.
    JB

Steffan Brown likes this.
  2. Tarkin

Tarkin Member

Composer.

bakerite likes this.
  3. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Landscape Architect / Park Planner. Retired at age 53...mostly.

4. fly dds

fly dds Tooth and Tail

I have 4 jobs (Only 1 of which I get a monetary reward from): Dentist, Proud Father, Loving husband, and obsessed Steelhead Swinger, but who really needs the money!!!!!!!

5. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

after playing with boats in the tub as a kid, I went into the navy, since then I have been working on pleasure boats of all kinds . took a 3 year break from it to have a bunch of surgeries and fish which I have only done once this year.

6. Woodcanoeguy

Woodcanoeguy Active Member

Younger days.....rancher, fishing guide, canoe builder, carpenter
    Middle yrs.........environmental consultant, house builder, community organizer,
    Last 30 yrs........State Farm insurance agent, with a little more time to hunt/fish these last 5 yrs.

7. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

Started playing music as a kid. First funk band in high school, 5 years on the road in Seattle bands, The Sonics and New Deal Rhythm Band, playing trombone and arranging music. I have been teaching since 1981, 5th grade through college, in three states. Teaching 7- 12 in Baker, Oregon now. I still write music and play and have been able to live around a lot of good fishing.

Tarkin and Brian Miller like this.
  8. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Boeing Engineer for 26 years and counting...

9. zinger

zinger Paul Singer

Ad agency writer & creative director.

Tarkin likes this.
  10. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

Fish biologist for about 30 years. Worked for feds, state, and university. The first 10 were spent in Maryland, Florida, Alaska, Texas, and New Jersey. The past 20 and counting in Washington.

11. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Active Member

Former financial director at large multinational corporation. Retired at 55. Summers now spent on Yellowstone River in MT, winters in PA.

12. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

Out of high school had many jobs.Got on with a construction company that sent me to a 4yr carpentry school.I have been a carpenter/general contractor for 18 yrs.I curently own my own two companies.One general contracting and one of my many interests an Archery shop.

13. Kelly Michelsen

Kelly Michelsen Active Member

2yr natual resouce degree, worked for the Forest service 8 seasons mostly
    on a survey crew, bottom dropped out in mid eighties, worked as construction laborer, chainman for a few asorted survey companies, 21 years and counting with the WSDOT, alot of different hats surveying, and inspection. 9 months ago my wife and I began the most wonderful and rewarding job as foster parent to beautiful babies 9 month boy and 5 month girl, my kids are grown and my wifes are close what a ride. Always lived in NCW.
    Kelly Michelsen

Lugan likes this.
  14. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Hit the nail on the head.

15. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Couple of years at the downtown Seattle Elephant Car Wash in the 60s while in school, a "spreader" in a garment factory for a short time before a couple of enlistments in the USAF in flightline weapons avionics, and shop NCO. 13 years as an IT field engineer for Texas Instruments, and a couple of years at a small IT support provider. The last 17 years I've held several IT support positions in the healthcare industry; help desk, desktop support, manager, budget analyst, project manager, and most recently IT asset and budget management. Through it all a part-time musician and vocalist in bar and private-corporate party bands making decent coin, then the last several years playing big band jazz guitar and acoustic, electric guitars and mandolin in amateur theatrical stage musical productions for fun.

bakerite likes this.