What is your 3wt setup?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Ed Call, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Preston

Preston Active Member

Among the excessive number of rods I own, I have two 3-weights that I'm particularly fond of; one is the TFO Pro Series 8'6" and the other is a Loomis 8' Streamdance Metolius Presentation.

I've been disappointed with most reels sized for 3-weight lines. I have a Hardy Marquis 4 and a J. Austin Forbes Super Light Magnesium both of which look like they'd be ideal for a 3-weight but, unfortunately, line left on their extremely small-diameter (about 2 3/4 inches) spools for any length of time comes off the reel looking like a clock spring. It also seems to take forever to regain any length of line. One of the best 3-weight reels I've found is the Cabela's Super Large Arbor in size "0". Its 3" spool (2" ID) allows line to be taken up much more quickly and doesn't coil the line nearly as badly as the smaller diameter reels.

2. Casey Weed

Casey Weed Greenhorn

Well I would have a 3wt setup...But somebody sold it out from under me, but I won't mention any names! bawling: I'm just messin' with you mumbles :rofl: (opps, I mentioned a name) I have a TFO Lefty Kreh Professional Series w/cabelas RLS Fly reel on the way.

3. Josh

Josh dead in the water

By all accounts, that is a real value in a rod. They go on sale from time to time and you can get a rod/reel/line for just a few bucks over what the rod costs alone.

I really should pick one up for my "loaner" 3wt.

4. Krystoff

Krystoff Member

I have 0 complaints so far. Rod, Reel, Backing, Line, and Rod Tube was ~$90 and works great!

5. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

TFO Finesse 3-wt 8'9", Ross Vexsis Reel; 2-wt is an Orvis Superfine 7'9" with a Battenkill. My 4 is a 10' with a Battenkill (made this one) & I'm waiting for a TFO Finesse 4 8'9" with a Tioga reel. Light rods are a ton of fun & make for a delicate presentation . . . luv 'em!

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

scottflycst, I have a Ross Rhythm 2 on my 4wt custom built rod and after getting used to its clicking sound it is really awesome. I like it enough to find one of the smaller versions for the lighter rods.

7. Ed Call

Preston, although my first rod was a cabelas I acutally don't have any of their gear currently. I have recently been browsing for small and light reels but also thought a large arbor would be ideal. I don't have Danielsson money, but I thought the Cabelas SLA looked pretty cool.

8. Ed Call

I deserved that. I had not heard from you and took the money that was right in front of me. I'll still buy you a beer whenever we meet (unless you insist on meeting in the back alley or in the school yard after school).

9. hedburner

hedburner Active Member

Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    Lew Parks, gets a second mention today. I have a 6'9" three piece build from him. Set up with a Ross G1 and a Sage 3wt dt line. Only got to fish the rod a few days last October before the winter rains hit in November.

10. Casey Weed

Casey Weed Greenhorn

I'm just bustin your balls man. I don't blame you, I would have done the same thing. I just couldn't waste the opportunity :beer2:

11. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Mumbles.
    My wife and I have 2 Sage SP 390-2, one has a old Ross San Miguel-1 Reel,
    The Other SP has a Ross Evolution-1.
    And I just picked up my first new rod in ten years, It's a Z-Axis 390-4 with a Ross Evolution-0 Reel. I think it's the Smallest Reel Ross makes.

Bill.

:thumb:

12. dpenrod

dpenrod Member

i've got an 8'3" cabelas lst with an orvis battenkill midarbor. really like this combo. the midarbor is a little heavy, but seems to balance the rod fine. for a lighter reel, tough to beat the battenkill bar stock series

13. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

The only Cabela's rod that I own is a Clear Creek 7ft, 1wt. It's a dandy little rod and came in a 3wt. But Cabela's discontinued the Clear Creek line of rods last year. The new and improved model they replaced it with is the TQR (Tight Quarters Rod). I think they have a 7.5ft 4pc 3wt in that line. Goes for about $120. Kind of short for Stillwater but I'm sure it's a decent rod for the money judging from experience with my Clear Creek rod so far.

14. Porter

Porter Active Member

Three weight....the choice rod for the Yakima on a CALM nice 75 degree day...right? :beer2: :)

15. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

I recently acquired my 3 wt setup, hoping to fish some small creeks this summer. Plus I'll be moving to the East coast next year and I hear there will be more opportunity (read: smaller fish) to use a 3 wt setup.

Rod is a Reddington RS4 8' 4 piece. I thoutght about getting the CPS, but wanted the slower action rod. IMO the RS4's are priced way under their performance. And since the price was at closeout (Sportsmans Warehouse), buying the rod was a no-brainer. The rods and prices are so good that I'm thinking about picking up the 10 wt too. You know, just in case.....

I wanted a really lightweight reel and, after seeking out the best deal I could find, got a Sage Click III. Yes, they're brutally overpriced for a click-pawl reel, but the machining is top-notch and it's beautiful to look at. The line and backing weigh way more than the reel! And it holds the line like a champ too :rofl: Definitely not a "bang for the buck" purchase, but I did get a good deal on it. Also on the short list was Hardy Marksman and Lamson Litespeed.

The line's a SA Supra WF3F. Haven't tried this line on anything else, but I've liked all SA lines I've tried, so I suppose I'll like this one.

The worst part about this setup is waiting until June for the damn creeks to open!