What is your beach rod(s) of choice?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by 9iron, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Being as the majority of my beach fishing takes place out on the Oregon coast, I'm usually throwing heavier lines to get down in the surf. If the wind is ripping, I'll grab my Steffen 8'6" 7/8 and line it with a 265gr integrated type 6 shooting head (this setup gets the most work). If it's not quite as windy , I'm grabbing my Fisher 8'6" 6/7 and lining it with a 200gr type 4 shooting head...both are glass and both work great in the wind. If the wind is a limiting factor with the Steffen, it'll be a limiting factor with any of my fast action graphite rods and I go home (discovered recently in Hawaii that if the wind was too strong for the Steffen, it was too strong for the fast action graphite I took just for the wind...besides, I didn't even want to be out in it at that point). Bottom line, I have a ton of fun fishing with those two rods, so I fish them. That's what it's always been about.

Porter likes this.
  2. Porter

Porter Dancing on Water

That add is always popping up (for aleka rods)

3. Porter

Porter Dancing on Water

My TCR will be tossing line in Nehalem Bay next week some time :)

4. Joe Fox

Joe Fox Member

I''ve been using a Redington voyant 4wt loaded with floating Rio 5wt line.

5. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

As I mostly fish for silvers I'm almost blind casting. I have a Ecco SR 10'10" 7wt switch rod. If I had it to do over I would not go over a 6wt. I use a Rio Outbound short, both floating and intermediate. My reel is a 8/10 Loop Evotec G3. Loop was smart enough to make the G4 spool fit the G3 reel as well as the 9/12 so it is easy to get spare spools. I know you didn't ask but for boat fishing I use one of Sage's saltwater rods in 7 or 8wt at 9'. The 9 foot rods are easier to handle in a boat.

6. tackleman

tackleman Member

For SRC beach fishing my regular rod is a Redington Nti 9' #5 throwing an Airflo Multi-tip #5 on an Islander 3.4.
    When the fishing includes opportunities for pinks and coho I use a Beulah 10' #5 switch with an Airflo Multi-tip #7 which works well both overhead and switch/spey casting.
    The multi-tip lines are great for quickly altering your fishing depth.

7. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Home Page:
    Sage One 9.6' 6wt
    Winston B3x 9.6' 5wt

Both rods overlined by one, fast and solid even on "most" windy days

8. Cannon

Cannon Member

I used a Loomis Classic GLX 10' 4wt. for years. She got stolen and I still have a broken heart. I'm using a TFO BVK 10' 5wt. and a Echo Shadow II 10' 3wt for throwing smaller streamers and dries. I've been really impressed with this rod. It's a great "all-arounder". I'm planning on purchasing a 10' 4wt. this fall and it has come down to two rods: Orvis H2 and a Scott Radian. I would buy another Loomis(NRX or GLX) but there is no rod in a 10' 4wt. except for a nymph taper.

9. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong OldRodsHaveMoreFun

J.S. Sharpe Scottie impregnated bamboo model "88" (8' - 8"). I use a Pflueger "Sal-Trout" #1554 reel with a modern line; Rio Outbound 6wt wound on it.
    They use this rod for Sea Trout (searun Browns) in Scotland and throughout northern Europe. It works great on Puget Sound just as well for Searun Cutthroat, Coho, Pinks, Bulls and the occasional Blackmouth and flounder :p.
    Sometimes I'll use an Orvis impregnated bamboo Battenkill 8' 0", 3/2, 4-1/2oz. 6wt.
    Kind of old school I know, but it's fun.

10. pbunbury

pbunbury Tights Lines

Sage Method 697-4. Most recently I've been catching 20 lb. carp on it. It's an awesome versatile rod. I'm going to be using it a lot this year for summer run steelhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. docstash

docstash Active Member

If anyone is using a switch rod you should try these in the sink rate of your choice with versi leaders or poly leaders and a running line. While I live a bit from the salt, the 255 Int. with an Int. tip and running line on lakes, from the bank or especially a float tube, is a cannon for stripping leeches with a 4 and 5wt switch. The 305 S4 is a bit heavy for the 4wt overhead but not the 5 wt. They also spey cast very nicely.
    http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/spey/scandinavian/scandi-body/
    This is the proper link.

Craig
    @redflyshop.com

12. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Also available in 23ft they have the scandi short body. Very similar to an ambush taper. Great for steep beaches for single hand spey casting

13. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

My
    Batson RX8, 4piece, 9ft, 6wt (I should probably shoot a 7wt Airflo or Rio OB, or Ambush)
    Batson RX7, 2piece, 9ft, 5wt (Arflo 40+ Int) (edited from 4 to 2 piece)

Both share my Rio Outboud Short Int, clear yellow

14. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Early on, Xi2 6 wt. and a Ross G-3, Later, RPLXi 8 wt. 9'6", with a Ross CLA 4. Both with the proper Rio Outbound.

15. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

XP697 & 3300D with outbound shorts.