What is your go to rod in the salt?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ed Call, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Which for which wind conditions? Which for SRC's and which for salmon? What lines do you like? :thumb:

2. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

The 6wt Helios is a great stick that I primarily use to target SRC's on windless or slightly breezy days. I have it lined with a 6wt SA Expert Distance line which suits this rod well, although it might be fun to overline it one weight up and see how it performs. This rod is "jumpy" in the hands and allows you to feel the bend when an average sized SRC is on the end of the line.

The Sage TCR 697, I have lined with a 7wt Rio Outbound which slows the rod down slightly and allows it to flex deeper, spring loading it to achieve greater forward distance. Even with a headwind, it will get a weighted fly out with considerable ease. This rod is a great salmon stick or when the wind conditions become tough, but typically manhandles an average sized SRC.

I have switched lines on both rods as an experiment and the Helios was greatly under powered with a 7wt Outbound, plus 5' tip, weighted fly and slight headwind. The TCR didn't flex much with the 6wt SA line and probably could easily be uplined upto two line weights, to achieve greater performance.

I am curious about the T&T Apex 6wt though and how it compares in action to the TCR..

Bob

3. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Home Page:
    I have a Sage RPL 690 and RPL 896 that I use out there. I love the 6 wt for cutthroat, but by the end of June I generally switch to the 8wt to take on the larger salmon.

4. addicted.angler

addicted.angler New Member

Home Page:
    Am I the only one with an Elkhorn fly rod? I use a 9' 6wt. I yet to catch much in the salt, but SOON I will catch something (other than a cold)!ptyd

5. Graham Young

Graham Young Member

Not that I've had a chance to use any of these recently but here goes -
    For boat and kayak: Sage 6wt RPLXi (bought from Richard) lined with a SA 7wt Saltwater floating line or a 7wt Outbound intermediate; and a 7wt TFO TiCr lined with an 8wt Rio Versatip.
    For the beach: Beulah 6/7 switch (Philster's recommendation - still enjoying, even smallish SRCs feel lively on it....), lined with 8 or 9 wt floating and intermediate Airflo 40+ (lines bought from Herl - I'm cheap...). Seeing the array of names makes me realize how much I've learned from these and others here over the past year - thanks.

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

Medium fast 7 weight or fast action six weight. My go to rods were a 7 DS2 and a 6 XP....but I downgraded to one rod and now use a 691-4 TCR and I'm still experimenting with floaters but the SA Streamer Express 250 is a nice fit for a subsurface line/fly.

If I had to choose a rod that covers what you ask for I might think a 9.5 footer in fast action...that action will be slowed down a smear by the extra 6 inches......A strong 6 weight in 9'6" will cover most summer salmon, summer steelhead, and sw fish.

Your set-up (5 wt. and 8 wt.) seem pretty damn good to handle most situations, but as always some rods feel better than others, some in your hands will cast farther, some you don't like feel better after casting lessons, it's a funny thing.

7. Dylan D

Dylan D Member

iagree

697 XP. I haven't upgraded yet, but love this rod for the uses you've described.

8. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Redington CPS 9664S 9'6" 6 Wt. Works well for both coho and src fishing.

I used to use an 8 wt quite a bit, but find it overkill for the majority of local beach coho you'll catch. I do break it out the 8 wt when the chums show up.

I just think a 6 wt really lets these great fish show their stuff.

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I do love fishing a couple of great chum runs near Chico Creek, Barker Creek and Decker Creek. Those are just tough old brutes. I have been considering one of the 9 1/2 or 10 foot fast action 6wt or med fast 7wt. I think that the 8wt is fine for just about anything, but on smaller resident coho, sea runs and even some of the smaller chum it seems like overkill. Thanks again for all the input, it is good to hear what you use and why...

10. rattlesnakeflyguy

rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

For what it's worth I go with a TFO TiCrX or PRO in 6WT for the springers and cohos and then a 5WT for the sea-runs & what not. The 8WT is overkill unless you hook a 15-30 pound springer, but even then, getting spooled could be more of an issue than your actual rod choice. 6WT has done me well.

11. Philster

Philster Active Member

Where is Cliffside? in your location?

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Side of a cliff on the hood canal. I'm about 3 miles south of point no point. Where is the (blank) in your location?

13. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

9'6" 6 wt Sage TCR

14. Philster

Philster Active Member

Woodinville. I was going to let you try 3 or 4 if you were close. You're not. I should get around to changing my location. Lazy...

15. nb_ken

nb_ken Active Member

I'm probably not terribly qualified to comment on this since I've only fished the salt a half dozen times or so and I bought my saltwater rod before I'd actually fished the salt.

Last winter my wife decided that for the same price as flying to some tourist destination for a week and staying in hotels and such, we could probably rent a place on Whidbey Island for a month. Who am I to argue? (We leave in a couple of weeks -- yeehaw.)

Anyway, I decided I should learn this SRC/salmon thing in anticipation of the trip. About that time, in the classifieds section on another board, I ran across a great deal on a used 6wt Loomis Cross Current GLX. It was there for like a week, taunting me, with no interested buyers. When I finally contacted the guy he said I was the only person to get in touch. I am now the proud owner of that rod.

As you'd expect from a GLX, that is one kickass rod. It's built in a saltwater configuration with a specially-shaped grip, carbon-fiber insert and oversized guides to better shoot line. Unlike all the other Loomises I've owned (I'm kind of a Loomis guy) it has snake-foot guides rather than single foot. I'm not sure what the thinking behind that is.

My main trout rod is a 5wt Stream Dance GLX. I haven't done an apples-to-apples comparison, but the CC seems significantly stiffer than the SD. The SD is a true 5wt rod. I would never consider over or underlining it. The first time I took out the CC I put a 6wt Rio Grand line on it. That's the only 6wt line I owned. I use it on an old broomstick-stiff, pre-Schwab Powell Tiboron. (That Powell probably would have been my saltwater rod had I not stumbled on the CC.) As you know, the Grand is a half-weight heavier than a standard line.

The CC seemed to cast fine with the Grand, but it's hard to tell. For me, the first time out with any rod is a learning experience. It takes me a little bit to learn the nuances of the tool. (I've always felt that test driving a rod for 10 minutes in a parking lot is overrated, but that's another topic.) But the biggest thing was that I had no stripping basket that day. I learned very quickly that a basket is absolutely required in the salt. No matter what I tried, the surface tension would grab any attempts to shoot line.

By the time I went out next I had built a stripping basket and acquired a Rio Outbound WF6F/I line. The heads on the Grand and the Outbound are actually pretty similar in taper and weight, but they're designed to be used quite differently. With a standard line, the idea is to aerialize the first 20-30' or so then go from there, depending on what you want to do with the cast. From what I've found, the Outbound is designed to aerialize the whole 37.5' head then shoot the thin running line as far as you can. That's easy to do because the head and the running line are different colors. The whole head of the Outbound weighs about as much as the first 30' of a 7 or even 8wt line. That's probably why they designed the CC as a stiffer rod than the SD. They wanted a rod that would achieve maximum shooting distance with 35-40' of line aerialized.

So there it is; Loomis CC 6wt, Rio Outbound Intermediate, stripping basket. I've been out with it several times and have come to understand how to best use it. If the wind isn't horrible, I can routinely cast that rig 70-80' (or until the first tangle in the running line -- haven't quite figured that out yet.) That's my go-to setup.