NFR What kind of bear...?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Roper, May 31, 2012.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

We spotted this bear on a run up Mt. Hull behind our property last week. Any of you bear experts know what kind of bear it might be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

Can't claim to be an expert, but it looks like a black to me. They run the gamut of colors from almost blond to a full black.

3. tyeoneon

tyeoneon Active Member

I believe that grizzleys have a defined hump by their neck, and their snout is a bit "squared" as opposed to pointed. This one's probably a black bear, as Dennis stated.

4. fisherjon

fisherjon Member

polar bear

golfman44, heathero and Dehlan G like this.
  5. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

That's a garden variety black bear also known as a TCR-trash can raider. One that looks like that has been terrorizing the neighbors this spring and has also been in the back yard eying my barbque grills-either as a source of food or a mating opportuity. I think the neighbors have finally figured out it is time to take down the suet cakes, bird feeders,etc and start going to the landfill at least once a week.

Ive

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

It looks like a small bear, probably going to be a big Black one when he grows up.

7. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

You might be giving them too much credit...:rolleyes:

I never realized that black bears came in so many different shades...no I know. Thanks everyone...

8. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Pretty cool thing to spot. Never seen one while out fishing--part of me would love to see one, but the other part of me would probably crap my pants. Even a little guy like that.

9. Preston

Preston Active Member

Although I didn't see it myself I heard several reports of a "blonde-phase" black bear at Chopaka last week. Apparently a yearling wandering around on the slopes south of the lake.

10. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Dishwater-blonde (black) would be my guess; based on what I can see from the larger, rounder shaped ear.

11. apistomaster

apistomaster Member

Looks like the "cinnamon" color phase; a common variant of the black bear.
    I was at Chopaka on one trip and got to see an adult Black bear climbing the hill across from the campgrounds.

On another trip my brother and I were fishing Benewah Creek in Northern Idaho when a two cubs, a black one and a cinnamon colored one crossed upstream less than 250 feet from us.
    A minute late the Sow crossed. She was Black, paused, then stood upright staring us down. We just froze until they passed and then left in search of a better stream to fish.

12. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I'd say Black Bear, brown color phase (not enough red to cinnamon) would be my guess, although it's hard to be 100% positive from that angle . . . head looks too narrow for a Griz & I don't see a distinctive hump, but it's also a young bruin. The ears seem more rounded than a Blackie. If I were hunting it, I'd definitely want a better look before I committed.

13. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

It sure is great seeing wildlife in the wild. Driving thru the brush on my way to a lake today, I spotted a glimpse of a cougar disappearing off the side of the dirt road ahead. Saw that long tail!

14. ribka

ribka Active Member

Not a Griz. Color phase black bear. black bear come in many color phases. Saw a similar colored bear by my house last week.

neat.

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I came almost face to face with a black bear on Pilchuck creek one time. I came around a bend in the creek and he came across it about the same time. I believe that was the time I walked on water. I turned around and beat feet down to where my brother was and we left that area. We were about 30' apart.

In my many years of fishing in Washington I have never ran across as many black bears than I did in my last years there. Ever since they quit using dogs to hunt with the bear population has gone up.