What kind of spey rod to choose?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by KEM, Feb 28, 2008.

1. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Home Page:
    Fred , with such an internet personality:) , im suprised i missed meeting you last year at the sandy clave? haha , i was one of them young punks...

KEM , a 500/550 wt line as stated above will work fine with that rod.

DO IT MAN!!! JUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    jeffrey- which do you like best on it(the 13') the 500 or 550?

3. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Home Page:
  4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Been there (the 'Clave) since it's beginning .... well, did miss two years ago when some clown decided that 'stop signs' were optional. Didn't get 2 blocks from my front door and WHAM! That took care of my trip to Portland ......:beathead:

5. sickclown

sickclown Banned or Parked

I have a tfo finesse and I love it for trout. I bought the cheapest spey rod I could find and I don't mind it at all. It's a cabela's. It's lighter then the other rods I've tried. It's action seems perfect. I can get out all the fly line. Probably because it's the rod I learned with. My advice - Go to a local fly shop and try thier rods out. If they are any good they will take you to a nearby stream and teach you how to spey cast for no charge. They will also let you try whatever sytle of spey rod they carry. It sounds like you have some money to spend to get a good one. Take your time. Sample real rods in your hands with professionals to show you how. You don't have to buy them but they will probably hook you up with a reel and some good spey line with backing and maybee a leader for cheaper then you think.

6. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

The F? KEM, you're Deer Creek casts like an Argentinian hooker. Bass'll bite anything you throw at them from any rod. Tits.

7. SeaRun Fanatic

SeaRun Fanatic Active Member

Haven't seen the new Redington RS4 7133 mentioned, and it is in pretty much the same $$ range as the TFO's and Echo's (within $100). My understanding is that since the acquisition of Redington by Sage, they make a pretty sweet rod. Anyone own or tried this rod? I know I saw a fair number of positive comments on the RS3. The RS4 seems like a pretty good all-around choice for the $$, eh?