What line to use

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by William Wallace, May 8, 2008.

1. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Nice calm day with no junk in the water; I usually use a floating line

Wind scuffing up the surface or making it choppy: I usually go to my intermediate as it gets under the chop and is pretty easy to control as it still pulls straight. A floating line on a windy surface will be difficult to control.

A sinking head (of any kind) is often the answer when fishing on a curving drop off such as Lincoln Park , or over deep water when you have to get down.

These are the three line types I have settled on after a lot of years experience ..... and I've had the opportunity to try just about every line on the market.

Cheers,
    Les Johnson

2. Porter

Porter Active Member

I really like the SA SH Taper Line for rivers as well. Teeny Long Shot...new?

3. Denny

Denny Active Member

The Teeny Long Shot has been around a while, and though it's a good (not great, to me) line, it's a fairly standard head length, I think something like 42' overall; I prefer the longer overall head of the Steelhead line. The Teeny Long Shot line that I have is only something like 90' long, too, but I got it about 3-4 years ago, so it may have changed some since then. Mine is white, not my favorite color for a fly line.

4. Porter

Porter Active Member

The Teeny was a line recommended for the 691 TCR one weight up. I really don't like splurging $$$ on a line I have not heard of or heard of very little. I went with the SA Express intermediate line instead (as you know). The Teeny (Long Shot ?) I was shown was a hot yellow color, and perhaps the taper has changed over the years :confused:

5. Denny

Denny Active Member

Two different beasts, to my knowledge. The Teeny is a standard WF line (just looked online, and the taper doesn't look like it's any different). The SA Express is an integrated head line.

Did you get the Streamer Express clear tip or the standard Streamer Express? Did you get the 250 grain? If you're looking for a floating line, for your beach fishing, a floating integrated head may be the best setup. It should add more distance to your cast than you would a standard WF line . . .

6. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

I was naming lines as examples of lines that I have used and that will do the job. If only I could get fish to bite on an offering as easily as my friends on this BB.
    Cheers,
    Les

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I think this has been a valuable thread to read. For my 5wt I have floating, intermediate sink and full sink lines on separate spools. I also have a 6wt floating that I use when quite windy as I can get it to load and cast better. Since that is my only 6wt line I use some sinking heads that I made which vary in length to just get down a touch with a short one all the way to a pretty long one for deeper presentations. This seems to work well for me and I've been contemplating creating similar options for my 8wt. For that rod I only have a floating and full sink. I have seen some anglers with the fully clear intermediate lines mentioned here and think that would be a good investement for me. I'm also looking for a line that will have the best castability as many of the locations I have been fishing seem to have fish just out of reach. I've heard that the sharkskin line casts wicked far, but that it's abrasive texture will tear up your stripping finger. Are any of the long clear intermediates really long casting? Has anyone used the sharkskin with any satisfaction? I could easily get it to sink by using the sinking heads as I hear it floats quite high due to the air trapped on the textured surface of the line. Also, what about the interchangable tip lines, are they quality lines with the varied tips, or is it better to stick to dedicated lines for different situations? Thanks for all the info here and for any other recommendations on what my next 8wt line should be.