What makes a good spey rod?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by BDD, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

Hey Mikey,

How long did it take you to type up your response?:p
    Glad to see you posting.

Rich,

No need for apologies!

2. speyforsteel

speyforsteel Degenerate Caster

Who is this Mike Kinney guy?Frikin website newbie's:p
    See yea Sunday Mikey,I'm back from God's country.

As for the question,a good reel, good line,and good casting techncian operating the hellish concoction.

3. Rich McCauley

Rich McCauley Meiser & Mohlin

Ok Guys Thanks for the positive comments, BUT…..

After my first post I felt as though I had offended Mike Kinney. Of course he has far too much class to call me on it. He is Mr. MKS after all. That series from Meizer would not exist save for his expertise. He can pick up a rod, “whomp it around” for about 2 minutes and tell you how to line it and how it will perform. There are others out there known to me and not that also have a good deal to do with rod development for custom builders as well as more mass produced rods. It was to those and others within the Spey community to whom my apology was directed. I on the other hand could not design a functional rod if my life depended on it.

Rich

4. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

I use to think the more expensive the rod the better. Just not true as many will agree.

I like to look at the rods up close. See if the maker paid attention to detail. Pull out 5 or 6 different rods, look at the wraps, and the finish work. Little bubbles and mess-ups are pretty easy to find. If a rod was crafted well, then I can also imagine that the maker paid attention to the dynamics and details of the rod when he was planning it and designing it. Again, sometimes this doesn't even hold true.

I guess classifying Spey rods is like steelhead. The only absolute, is there are no absolutes.

5. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

One of the best of the VERY best.

http://www.mikekinney.com/

6. mike kinney

mike kinney Member

Rich I thought you were right on!The reason for a thread like this is to educate us all.Sometimes we forget a point or we think about things in a different way that may lead us down a path with amuch narrower view.I think agood rod is all of these things and more.For me because I cast and teach a lot of different styles and different types of lines,I like a rod that is very versitle so I can use it for every thing.Some very good rods out there do one thing very well but are only so so with others.If a persons style of line and casting match them then it's a good one.Another point that matters to me is fit and finish and cosmetics.If I am going to pay big money for a rod I want it to look like it is worth the money and feels comfortable to me.If we put all of these things together we not only have a good rod we have an exceptional rod.
    Kevin about 15 words per min.
    Thanks MBKinney

7. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

BBD,
    I've been on this same quest for the last month or so. After a few general posts, some pm's to knowledgeable people like Fred, and a lot of reading, I called Bob Meiser. I would have to say my experience w/ him was excellent. He spent 30-45 minutes talking to me. I told him what I was looking for and he asked some other questions that I hadn't thought of. He didn't treat me like a dork and was patient w/ my ignorance. He knows his rods intimately, so it was an informative conversation. One of my major criteria was a rod that a relative neophyte could handle, but one that I could also grow into as my spey skills develop...that "one" rod, as if it actually exists:) Though I don't talk "spey-speak," we were able to overcome the language barrier. The end result is that I'll be buying a rod rod from Bob and it's looking like it will be the 13'6" 7/8 MKS. Sorry Fred, I like your intitials also, but it sounded like this rod was a better fit:) Good luck. The search is half the fun.

Jon