What motivates you to fish for steelhead?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by thewaker, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    It's about the intangibles I'll never be able to put in to words.

2. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

I suppose that this could apply to other species, but I feel great sense of freedom when I am on the river hunting steelhead in some of the most beautiful places that Mother Nature has to offer.

Otherwise, I enjoy the history of the sport and the challenge of learning how to catch steelhead on a fly using the many different techniques that are available. I have a lot of other reasons but like Evan indicated in his post, some things cannot be put into words.

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

With some seriousness.

I have caught fish almost every way there is. From a stick with a string attached as a kid to purse seining. I have used almost every type of rod out there except perhaps a center pin rig. I have owned and operated my own gill net boat and fished on reef gear. Honestly I have enjoyed every damn minute of it. Watching a tender brail thousands of fish for two hours out of our purse to swinging all day long for winter steelhead with not a single bump to show for the day. Picking a few thousand reds from a gill net knowing that everyone is worth a ten dollar bill to waking steelhead bees for summer run and breaking off three to each one caught. I have loved every second of every type of fishing I have ever done. I am a fisherman; plain and simple. Catfish, gills, socks, bass, trout, steelhead, kings, I don’t care. Bait caster, spin, single hander, two handed fly rod (preferred), it doesn’t matter. And if I am sharing the bank or the boat with you, at that moment we are best friends. What is mine is yours and I hope you feel what I feel when the tug comes.

4. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

I'm a glutton for punishment?

5. slim

slim Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!

A lot of people have pretty much summed up the reasons for steelheading, but they forgot one. There is no bigger rush than having a steelhead take your line and run. What has it taught me.....patience! I never really had that before while fishing and fishing for steelhead has brought me back to re learning a lot of what I took for granted.

6. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

A big me too on this post Kerry. Fits me to the letter!

7. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

I find that my motivations change from river to river and season to season.

For instance in November- January I am motivated by shall we say greed?
    During that period of time I am on a mission to put fish in the freezer partly because i love smoked salmon/steelhead, I love the aspect of supporting myself through my own hard work and eating the spoils. ( also love collecting wild edible mushrooms. Also anyone who has known me knows that i view hatchery fish as villains in our rivers systems so I am out to irradiate them if one man could.

During the later part of the winter season i am motivated to get out by wild winter steelhead. I find it amazing that they still exist, i want to see them and know they are around. If i am not fishing for them I am hiking up some small tributary looking for them where no one else knows they even live. Just being able to see one and be in it's presence is my motivation that time of year.

During the early summer I trout fish most of the steelhead are skamania hatchery fish which i find are next to impossible to take except with tasteless methods for summer so i steer clear of fishing that time of year.

September and October are my time of year this is when i fish for the fun and excitement of it. it's the fishing i actually enjoy doing floating lines and light flies and flies fished in the surface film.

All years long i love talking to steelheaders I meet on the river so that's part of the motivation too. I love the history and the culture of steelheaders and I hate things that seek to change that culture. which seems to be happening a lot these days so i steelhead fish less.

anyway that's at least a partial answer...

8. thewaker

thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

That's money Kerry!

9. surfnsully

surfnsully Active Member

I used to be an avid surfer in California from the early 70's - 95 when I moved north to colder water and thicker wetsuits. Being out in nature then, and now while I am on the river, has always been a spiritual time for me. I enjoy mother nature and get my mind lost in it's beauty, amazement, danger, and movement. I guess it is my way of meditating and becoming centered again after a long stint at work. It relaxes me. It makes me smile. It helps me live.

10. thewaker

Nicely said Rob

11. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

- i aint standing in a river until my feet are numb for any other fish.
    - the places i get to see while fishing for them are unmatched (coastal rainforests, glacial peaks looming overhead, basalt canyons)
    - the loneliness of hiking to get away from crowds and being rewarded.
    - the grab after a long dry spell... just as you start to wonder what you're doing wrong... because you must be doing something wrong... and then you just focus on attempting to fish the water well for the sake of fishing it well... and then the grab comes.

12. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Spey casting for steelhead is all about rhythm. Cast, swing, two steps down, cast, swing, two steps down. The cast itself is all about rhythm, not too fast, not too slow. Concentrate on a good cast, good swing, careful steps, do it again. You need to pay attention but the mind can wander as you get in rhythm. The air is cold, maybe it's raining or snowing, all by yourself in your own little world, just cast, swing, step. This goes on for hours, sometimes days. Then suddenly your line slows and stops and tightens, your mind is screaming "take it, just take it please!" for what seems like an eternity. Your rhythm has been broken. Line starts stripping off the reel and you set the hook with a sweep towards the bank of course. You feel the pulsing of the rod from the head shakes - that is why I steelhead.

Wayne

13. thewaker

So nice Surf,Chris and Wayne!

14. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

15. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    thewaker, Great thread!