what should my next rod be?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by jcalderon, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

I have the older Sage 6126. I really like it. I haven't tried the new one, but if you can get your hands on this rod, I highly recomend it! Casts well with a 678 windcutter or a 450 Skagit spey. I tried a Mid Spey 6/7 and it sucked!!!

The smaller Burkheimer is a sweet stick as well.

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    this man will never own anything but scott rods, and ross reels. that's his comfort zone. i'll be damned if i ever see him with anything else

3. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

You know, If it aint broke, dont fix it :thumb:

HAHA..... I may just opt for the new scott T2H......... But, it seems as though my next reel will not be a ross...... For one reason or another, i just am not that impressed with my CLA's of late..... We will see......

4. Rich McCauley

Rich McCauley Meiser & Mohlin

The MKS and Deercreek rods are excellent. I am not familiar with most of the others so I can't comment.

BUT if price is not a determining factor you really need to consider the 7125-3 for Burkheimer. It is one of the very best 12' 6" 7wts out there.

5. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

i would love to have a burkie, the only beef i have is that i own a ls2 8wt....... I feel as if my next rod should be very different from my current rod........ is the difference between a 6 and 8 wt that much greater than a 7 and 8 wt?

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

STOP!!

Someone(s) already brought up several great rods; that said, don't get your shorts in a bunch. STOP, wait, and go to next years Sandy River Spey 'Clave. (Yes, the proper spelling is 'Clave.) In May, 2008; YES you can wait a few months.:ray1:

PLAY, PLAY, PLAY among the best. THEN drop the $$

7. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

fred, i think thats the best advice yet! play with them all, then dop the dough

8. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Considering you'll 'drop the dime' on close/over 1K for rod, reel, line (only) I thought that might be a bit of common sense.;)

Save for one rod (a St. Crox (sp?) one hander) I've never purchased a rod I hadn't cast ... now, truth be told I've purchased two that after two or three minutes I've turned around to Bob Meiser/Gary Anderson and said: "What did this just cost me?"

Edit: Well three. The last was the first of Bobbie's "Highlander's." One look, without casting I said THIS I have to have. Dear God it's a beautiful rod! Took close to three years before he turned it over ... but persistence pays off. It's here in the motor home with me on the Chetco ... Ahhhh, the damned water WILL drop after Christ's Mass.
    :>)

9. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Spent today casting a few rods....... I tried the deer creek 5/6 which I liked quite a bit..... And the cnd solstice 6 wt..... Both were pleasant to cast. The cnd was a bit slower, which i like, however I have yet to cast the Zaxis 6126...... I am very interested in this rod as I hear it loads to the cork with a 7/8 windcutter and is a great euro style rod with a shorter skagit or skandi head as well...... Descisions descisions

10. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    i would get the zaxis, i have fish the xp version and its dope with a skagit 400 i believe, and have only heard better things about the z. whatever you get just make sure to put a baller reel on it!

11. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Is a galvan torque considered baller status? Does it help my cause that Im listening to C murder right this second?

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    knowing Joe, "baller status" means Nautilus or Bauer

13. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

I have never heard of either..... Wait, what am I talking about.... everybody knows im getting another scott, maybe an arc 1196 and a ross.

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    get a z axis and a bauer. break tradition. i dare you

15. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

those colored bauers are certainly, neat. I just may....... Now i need to rob smebody at knife point to be able to afford said set up