What straight men think of Subaru Outbacks

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Daniel Nelson, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Daniel Nelson

Daniel Nelson BAMF

should be a problem since im only 5' 7 1/2".

2. Daniel Nelson

Daniel Nelson BAMF

alright..what about a volvo x70c. like the newers ones 2003 or newer? anyone have any opinions on them?

3. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

Nice thread title.:rofl:

A dude driving a Subaru with a "Yes, I am a lesbian" bumper sticker would actually be kinda funny.

Gayest comment of the thread. Good job Mumbles.:thumb::rofl:

4. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

Driving over I-90 last winter in the Elk Heights area it was quite icy. I drove past 4 Subaru's that were off the road. I could only assume that they were shitty snow cars or that lesbians can't drive worth shit. I still don't know which it was...

FWIW our hetero Tahoe did just fine.

5. Porter

Porter Dancing on Water

yeah right .......wishing others to go brokeback in an outback.... lets stick to horses on that one. Matter of fact lets Matt Burke show you at the HOH with OMJ and Mumbles what it is all about :clown: (JK'ing of course)

6. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    Crappy drivers, subaru's are unbelievable in the snow, if you know how to drive.

7. wolverine

wolverine Member

I guess Randy Newman was wrong with his "short people got no reason to live" lyrics as they do have Subaru's. For those that are not vertically challenged they are not good for anything other than short trips to the store.

8. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

I have an outback. It is a sweet fishing rig. Good Gas mileage, great handling. I have a rack to hold my rods and a box to keep more gear. Seats fold completely flat and I can sleep back there.

9. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    I agree it was crappy drivers. From what I've observed when someone that doesn't know shit about driving in the snow and ice gets a vehicle with a 4WD or AWD logo on it they suddenly think all the rules (i.e. physics) don't apply to them. Ya see these jackasses go by at 60 mph and a while later see them off the road...

10. Mike Danahy

Mike Danahy @#)$%# river otters!

my girlfriends outback gets better gas mileage than my ranger, has close to the same clearance, handles better in the snow, the awd beats the hell outta my 4wd, and with 80,000 more miles on it (both of us are over a hundred) it runs smoother, and has had less done to it. I used to hate station wagons but the outbacks are the sh*t. And the new ones are supposedly almost completely recyclable. They won't put out a hybrid until they they can figure out what to do with the battery.

11. ffb

ffb Active Member

Just bought an 01 Subaru Outback Limited last July (gotta have the heated leather seats, and dual sunroofs ;) ) Mine is also a 5-spd which I insisted on having when I was searching. Handles amazingly in the snow if you know how to drive. I myself have seen many subarus in ditches, likely caused by the "I have AWD so I can do anything" mentality. Shoot, it even matches my latest toy:

[​IMG]

12. nb_ken

nb_ken Active Member

My first 4wd vehicle was a '68 International Scout and I've owned one 4x or another for most of the last 30 years. Right now I own an F150 with a cap on the back.

Until last spring I also owned a luxury car with a V8 that I bought to make my daily drive from North Bend to Bellevue a little more comfortable. When the weather got ugly and the roads slippery, I'd park that car and drive the truck. The car got a few miles on it, gas prices went through the roof and I was feeling a little guilty about driving this big global warmer, so I traded it in for an Outback.

It's certainly no luxury car and it groans a little going over Tiger Mountain at 75. I hate that about it, but I bought it with open eyes in that regard. But since I bought it, I can probably count on my fingers the number of times I've driven my truck. I drove it through the snow all December and it's literally unbelievable. The roads were empty, no one came to work and the only thing I was worried about was getting too cocky because this thing was -- there's no other word -- unbelievable.

Like I said, I've driven 4wd vehicles my whole life. I know how to work them and I know the physics involved in making them work. The traction on this Subaru is physics defying. I don't understand it. I took it in places that were absolute skating rinks -- places where, with other vechicles, I would have had to think about hard to move around -- and never slipped an inch. All with these dumbshit little stock street tires.

A few weeks ago I loaded up my truck in the wee hours of the morning and got ready to head over to Rocky Ford. But since the truck had spent the last couple of months buried in the snow, the battery was completely dead. Since I wasn't going to sleep in it or tow anything this trip, I just grabbed my gear and loaded it in the Outback with no reservations.

I'm gonna have to change my answer, ma'am. I honestly thought I was a cowboy. Turns out I'm a lesbian.
    -- Punchline to an old joke.

13. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Buy a 4 runner and save yourself.

14. TheShadKing

TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

What everybody else said about long legs is true, but at your height not a problem.

I used to have a VW Quantum wagon (predecessor to the Passat). It's just enough longer that you could sleep in the back (if you took the bottom half the back seats out) and there was plenty of leg room in the front seats.

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Subaru has a kick ass factory in Indiana, ZERO impact or so their commercials say. Don't they come standard with rainbow license plate holders? I'm secure with my own sexuality, who cares what others think, if you want one and it fills your needs, buy it.