What the heck! Pelletheads in Hosmer (rant) thoughts and a question

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by bakerite, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Sinkline

Sinkline Active Member

Gene, I am 100% with ya on the management of illegally and criminally introduced fish in our trout waters. But, as you know, many of us have waged this battle with the ODFW over the years and have essentially lost. The best we can do is try and be proactive and help make little changes to help our cause when and where we can. You helped us with your letter to get the 16" rule on Crane and that was a plus. We wanted more, but we did get something of value there. If I didn't thank you for that effort.., I thank you now.

One thing to remember is there are very many good people on the ground of the ODFW, it's the upper management that has priorities that are other than what is right for our fisheries, and fish that are the problem. Kinda like many big businesses in general..., "to hell with the employees, it's all about the bottom line"! :)

Randy

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The regs change was weird at best. I don't see the point of allowing the kill of ANY wild rainbow. What was up with that clause to allow the kill of one? Do the guides and resort owner really think it makes a big difference in their business if their clients can kill one wild rainbow?

I sent an e-mail indicating what I thought of that part of the regulation change... most likely, by now, the ODF&W has a photo of me on a dart board.

There are some decent folk in the ODF&W but as you mentioned, they can not overcome the idiots in power. It took me a few years to figure out that the benefit of the fisheries has nothing to do with how ODF&W does business... and to them, it is a business.

Randy, BTW, good to see you over here.

3. Sinkline

Sinkline Active Member

Gene, like you, Brett D., Royal and I were not happy about Hodgson conceding the part of the proposal that would have eliminated the kill of any and all wild/native Rainbows. I contacted Brett H. about the last minute concession. He told me several things which mostly made sense. Hodgson told me, that he felt from conversations within the inside that the whole proposal would go down if not modified. He felt it was better to concede part of it and gain some good verses maybe gaining nothing if the proposal failed entirely. Next, he told me that redd counts of the wild fish are high enough to sustain the population with minimum harvest. Thirdly, and the issue that makes the most sense was about unintentional mortality of released fish. Brett H. commented that considering the high water temps. in shallow Crane during the Summer, and poor handling techniques by some anglers, that a certain percentage of released fish are gonna die anyway. So, he felt the better compromise was to agree with the harvest of 1-wild fish as if the same percentage of released wild fish would die anyway. Allowing the retention of that one over 16" wild fish may get that angler off the water for that day. it's a bit of a trade-off but either way, the result the fish comes out about the same. Like you, I still wish we could have gotten 100% release of all wild fish (I think Hodgson would prefer that as well) and let the chips fall as they will regarding survival.

Randy

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The regulation is just as dumb as allowing the kill of rainbow at Davis if they are within a slot limit. For crying out loud! The rainbow have a hard enough time surviving as it is with the LMB taking over the lake without fly anglers also killing them.

What bothers me about that sudden "compromise" for Crane was the fact that I contacted a lot of flyfishing folks and suggested they send e-mails in support of the regulation proposal AS IT WAS. And they did. I did not support a regulation that allowed the kill of any wild trout nor did those I contacted yet we ended up sending e-mails in support of a regulation that did ultimately allow the kill of a wild rainbow.

That was a bait and switch as far as I was concerned. The ODF&W burned all of us who supported their original proposal. I won't forget that one. They can justify it seven ways to Sunday but the fact remains, they modified the proposal at the last minute and changed it to one I wouldn't have supported.

5. Sinkline

Sinkline Active Member

Bakerite, sorry for hijacking your thread. :-(

I don't know the reasoning for adding Cutties and Rainbows to Hosmer??? ODFW gave a reason as, "To enhance the fishery". That was written in the, "Spring Fishing Forecast".

Randy

6. Sinkline

Sinkline Active Member

Gene, I did not know of the compromise (and neither did Brett D. or Royal) at the time I solicited support across the forums and that's the truth.

I am thankful for the support you helped us get because I think Hodgson is fully onboard with what is right for the fishery, but had to choose to fight again another day. I do completely understand your feeling about the issue though. I do fully agree with no-kill on wild fish at Crane even if they seem to be holding their own anyway. "It is what it is", I am not gonna let it ruin my stillwater fishing "stewing" over it, even though when I get into these threads I am also angered about ODFW's position of how they choose to manage our stillwaters. I'm too old now to spend much time being angry (har,har). :)

Randy

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I don't really stew over it. Just another reason that I don't get along all that well with the ODF&W. I'm good friends and fishing buddy with a tech who worked for the ODF&W waiting for a biologist job and he told me long ago how they operate and so far, he has been right on. Fortunately for him, he got the fish biologist job with the Federated Tribes of the Siletz and is able to manage as we wants and doesn't need to deal with the politics of the ODF&W on a daily basis. His name is Stan Van De Wetering and he's been on Oregon Field Guide a number of times because of his unique approach to fish management.

8. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

Sinkline, no problem with the hi-jack....we are of the same mind. I moved to Oregon from Montana and can not believe the way they manage trout (the afterthought fish) over here. They still dump pellet-heads in our streams and when I asked the regional biologist if they would consider trying to manage for some wild fish on some of our less accessible stretches of water where there is an occasional nice trout, he said they had no research to support that and that I would have to get a bunch of the locals to support it. So we have streams over here that have populations of beautiful redbands with 5 fish limits and bait allowed!

9. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

You don't EVEN want to whisper catch and release where you live.
    It is their god given right to kill any fish they catch up to and beyond the limit. The mindset in that part of Oregon is not likely to change.

In regards to Hosmer... I'm sure, as with Crane... there are guides and resorts behind the planting of clones so clients can kill what they catch. I'm not falling for a trophy rainbow fishery at Hosmer in the least. The reason the ODF&W does what it does is due to politics and money. It is unlikely that will ever change.

The ODF&W is dedicated to the hatchery, catch and kill system.

10. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Chris, have you considered starting an OregonFlyFishing.com website?

11. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Geez, Ira... it's just one thread. If you haven't noticed, the vast majority of threads on the forums deal with Washington State :D

12. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I was more thinking it sounded like you guys could use a site like this dedicated to your issues. Just trying to be nice. I don't want you guys going anywhere, just an idea.

13. Sinkline

Sinkline Active Member

I have recently considered it. Thought about creating a place for Oregon's small number of dedicated Stillwater flyfishers as the primary focus of the forum. Decided I don't have the time, or interest in the management side of keeping a forum running so "ditched" the idea.

Seems you guys have a higher percentage of Stillwater folks in Washington than we have in Oregon. Still yet, some very active Stillwater guys & gals in the BC forums.

Randy

14. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

We once belonged to a site where we could discuss Oregon problems in regards to fishing regulations but the regulars and old guard all wondered off and the place is no longer the same. Most went to Face Book and I don't like FB in the least.

Some came over here but maybe that wasn't such a great idea.

This is a very large site with members from all over the world but perhaps we are stepping on the toes of the Washington Flyfishers. It is, after all WASHINGTON Fly Fishing, not NW Fly Fishing.

It isn't fair to the Washington folks to take up space with Oregon threads. Guess we need another alternative. Our old home pretty much burned down and there's no going back.

Guess we could always us the PM system so we don't take up space here.

15. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

If we don't want to read it, we can ignore it. As I said, I don't want you guys going anywhere. Besides, it is nice to hear of new waters to fish to add to my bucket list.