What to look for in a Saltwater Reel

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Kcahill, May 11, 2012.

1. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

Just an FYI...Although Jack passed away last year, Charlton reels are still manufactured and assembled right here in Washington.

http://www.makoreels.com/index.html

Stunning, incredibly reliable reels. Edco, Inc., owner of Solitude reels, does a lot of the CNC work. A lot of the drag system design in Solitude reels came from Jack's insight and assistance.

The WWL Vanquish that Anil mentions is an absolutely awesome reel.

I love nice fly reels. Super great information and suggestions here.

2. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Interesting. I had heard that they were no longer being made. I knew Jack had passed but had thaought that they discontinued building the reels on his death. Glad to hear they are still being made.

3. fishintom

fishintom Member

Duplicates is such a good point. Last year I was in Belize for a week. Early in the vacation I had a very popular high-end 12 wt. reel lock up on me after hooking a 100+ # tarpon. Snapped the backing (not even at a knot). Just goes to show, there's no assurances with any gear, no matter how much you pay for it. If you fish long enough, the back ups will come in handy, no matter how much you're thinking/hoping you won't need them.

4. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

Steve, thanks for the additional information and you are indeed correct.

The "original" Charlton reels, i.e.- pre 2003-2004, when SA/3M owned the company/design/rights/whatever were the original. Jack's newer Mako reel prototypes, post SA/3M, were CNC'd by Edco in Mt. Vernon. Secondary to his quest, these newer reels were initially machined in Bellingham for some time.

Because of the intricacies, detail and workmanship required to satisfy Jack's requirements, the CNC work came back to Edco where the machining is still done today. Mako remains a small specialty reel manufacturer and Judy, Jack's spouse, is now the mainstay of the company.

Jack did not play a part in Edco's Solitude drag system design as I originally thought; however, he was a part of the refinement in their polishing processes pre- and post-anodizing.

Man, I really love nice saltwater reels. The Nautilus No. 12, Solitude's SR 5 and the old "made in the USA" 3400D come to mind. We head for the Gulf Coast tomorrow and I'll be glad to hopefully put some of these reels to work.

Duplicates or a few but definitely not just one.
    Cheers,
    Ed

5. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I just received my new Tibor Signature 11/12. It's as smooth as glass and way oversized compared to other models. It it a larger diameter than the Momentum 8 that I use for Tuna. It has a very large ported spool and I assume it will hold 300-400 yards of backing plus my line. I paired it with a 12 wt. Xi3. I can hardly wait to get into a big dorado with that outfit.

6. 5shot

5shot Member

Have any of you guys had a chance to handle the Ross F1? I can get a great price on the new #5, but it is still a big chunk of change.

7. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Lot of great information here, thanks everyone for helping out.

I ended up picking up a used Galvan Torque T-8 at a good price as a backup and am going to head down to my favorite fly shop to check out some others this weekend.

8. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

I've not fished the Ross F1, but it's been highly recommended to me. The consensus seems to be that after the Vexsis trainwreck that their engineers worked very hard to get the F1 right. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

9. Porter

Porter Active Member

Yes...galvan t's good choice

10. Denny

Denny Active Member

Budget?

11. simpleinterest

simpleinterest Member

KC
    Just read your thread. Excellent comments. I own some Charltons and Makos and live 4 miles from Judys and formerly Jacks shop (
    Charlton Outdaorr Technologies). Started buying from Jack in 1993.
    I have caught 160# tarpon on the 8550C, 70# giant trevaley on the 8500 1., and 20# steelies on the 8500 .8. Charltons are the BEST period.
    I now fish several weeks a year for dorado at Loreto Baja Sur Mexico.
    I have used: Charlton 8500 1.2, Orvis Vortex 13/14, 11/12, Orvis Odyssey IV, Orvis DXR Tarpon, Fin Nor 3 (1993), FinNor 3 AR (1993), Marryat M7X, System 2 10/11 and 12/13,and LL Bean Tidemaster 3 (Islander 3) for dorado and caught dorado to 62# casting on 12 wt fly rods. All but the Charltons, I have purchased on ebay.
    If interested in Dorado, Sailfish, large roosters, giant T, marlin or other blue water fish in the 30# and above range, in my humble opinion, your best bang for the buck and keeping the salt water rule (own two identical fly reels), look at the Orvis DXR Tarpon with the blue label (made by Lamson) or the white label (made by Ross).
    They have a very good +++ drag that is adjustable, hold 300+ yard of 30# dacron and a Orvis wonderline WF11 ro12 S or WF12F. Cost on ebay of Orvis DXR Tarpon typically runs from $90 to $160 and they apprear fairly regularly. A slightly better fly reel and drag and my fly reel of choice is the LL Bean Tidemaster 3 or the Islander 3 (cork drag) that only rarely shows on ebay, typically in the $200 to $300 range selling price.

12. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

And,they are made in 'Merica