What types of birds without a dog

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by hikepat, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    is that a blacktail recurve?

2. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Any type of game can be hunted without a dog, it is just up to the hunter to know their limits and make sure that they are not reckless in their shot choice.
    Ducks and geese are obvious choices over decoys and shallow water, although i know people do use rods/reels to cast big lures over their birds and retrieve them in deeper water.
    For upland hunting if you are hunting alone it will be much tougher than if hunting with another person. Chukars and Pheasants would be the birds of choice if i were going upland hunting without a dog. Usually you can find them in narrow strips of cover and they are pretty flighty so they will flush without the aid of a dog. Quail are generally in areas that are brushier and make retrival a problem. In fact i would rather hunt chukars without a dog than with one that is poorly trained. I use my dog for retrival 90% of the time when hunting chukars. She does help scent some birds but mostly she is right by my side. When i was guiding i cant tell you how many guys wanted to frown upon my lab's ability to hunt chukar and would unleash their pointers. A great pointer is a very fine hunting dog i am sure, but i have yet to see a great one. But i digress..
    The number one rule is to make sure you mark where your bird falls. Go immeadiately to the area and drop your hat or pack. work downhill from their and look for feathers. Chukars especially, can roll a long ways.
    Good luck.

3. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

iagreeiagreeiagree

4. Rooselk

Rooselk Flyfisher Wannabe

Yes, it is. Yew limbs, cocobolo riser footed with ebony. Norm is an artist.

5. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

I field hunt geese without a dog. I go to work without my dog. I do lots of things without my dog.

Mostly I spend a lot of thought trying to figure out how to do everything with my dog.

6. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

The hand crested shafts are great but you need a neater glue line for the fletching. ;)

7. Rooselk

Rooselk Flyfisher Wannabe

I can't take either blame or the credit for those arrows. They were made by Suzanne St Charles. :D She does a great job.