What wt line do you use on the Lower Yak???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Billy McFly, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

the only rules in this game, are the ones you make for yourself.

Stonefish likes this.
  2. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

I have 2 6wts and one 4 wt.

Most of time, especially in summer the 6wts get a workout. Large flies like a hopper/dropper on one rod and a multiple nymph rig on the other. I have a nymph type line that turns over easy in the high winds/big water that works well. I have not tries much streamer fishing because I enjoy the extended semi natural drifts that can be accomplished fishing from the drift boat on the Yak.

4wt gets use when small dry flies come out - but that does not happen very often when I fish the water.

3. Eric Candelaria

Eric Candelaria Active Member

I'll pick up my 6wt when I through the big flies if I have it with me and rigged up. But the 5wt rods seem to do all around a good job on the Lower Canyon for me no metter what flies I am throwing. When drifting I generally keep 5 wt rods on both sides of the boat ready to go.

4. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

I'd also consider a 6-wt switch on the lower Yak. It allows me to cover more ground with streamers and a Spey cast. Besides, I really like to pretend I'm back in the glen...

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

I even use the 6 weight up river around cle elum too. 3 weight for dries and the 6 weight for streamers are my usual weapons of choice on the Yak. I have a 5 weight but generally don't use it on the Yak, it is a very undergunned 5 (8'3" DS). I save it for smaller waters like the forks of the snoqualmie and lake fishing.

6. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

OK - I picked up a Redington Pursuit 9' 6wt. I want to set it up for streamers so now the question is what type of line works best? What do you guys use??

Thanks

7. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I use both a full intermediate/clear line and a short 10' or 15' (I forget the exact length of the sinking portion) type 6 sink tip. If you don't want to buy both, a type 3 sink tip is a good compromise.