What's the best fly line for the money?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Water Flogger, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Preston

Preston Active Member

As soon as you can define "best" you may get some answers that mean something. Any flyline on the market today is a "better" line than anything available a few decades ago. I think I could probably get along very well (thank you) with a selection of basic lines like the Cortland 444 or the SA AirCel/WetCel series. A look at the Scientific Anglers (as only one example) catalogue should convince anyone that the proliferation of "specialty" lines long ago passed the point of being ridiculous.

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Flogger,

I assume by best fly line for the money, you mean the highest quality fly line for the least amount of money. That's gotta' be the venerable Scientific Anglers Air Cell Supreme that's been around nearly 40 years. It still sells for about the same price; I've seen it (and bought a few) for $29. There are better quality lines available today, even from SA. Those lines cost from almost twice as much to more than twice as much as the Air Cell Supreme. However, none of them cast, handle, or last twice as well or last twice as long. So on a dollar per unit of quality attribute, the Air Cell Supreme is the best fly line for the money.

Sg

3. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

AIRFLO,

On another note I sure hope that the Fly Fishing Retailers Association has Ed Call on their Christmas card list...from the look of things you are doing your part to keep them afloat.:D

4. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I think two of the best "budget" lines are the SA Ultra IV series and the Cortland 444 Peach lines.

My favorite lines, and I have far too many, are my SA Sharkskin 5wt, SA Steelhead Taper, Airflo Compact Skagits, Sage Quiet Taper (3wt) and whatever line matches up w/ what I'm fishing.

5. Oakwood

Oakwood New Member

I've been plenty happy with my Cabelas's Prestige Plus WF5 floating line for small creeks/rivers.

6. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

iagree Couldn't agree with you more.
    I make my living with tools. The brand name means alot less than the craftsman's hand holding it.

7. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

LL Bean has an Airflo Tactical Trout in Presentation Taper for 29.00. That's a deal for an excellent stillwater/dry fly line. My favorite; low memory, easy to carry lots of line.
    I do like my Rio Nymph taper and their DC sink tips as well.
    Look around, ask your local shop if they have any demos. Picked up a Rio Grand and a Type VI 15' DC sink tip for $10 each in Portland last winter; like new and sure nice on the wallet.

8. Water Flogger

Water Flogger Howdy neighbour!!

Gotcha.
    So you skip the DeWalts and Milwaukees, and buy exclusively PowerFist products.
    They fit the craftsman's hand do they not?

Thx for the responses, guys. Looks like SA has some of the best $/Unit of Goodness rating.