What's The Best/preferred Gun.........

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Ron McNeal, Oct 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Many folks would consider this just a good start...

2. Krusty

Krusty Erect Huge Member

I know the Davis Lake snag you're speaking of...it's easily been a cormorant perch for more than 40 years.

This talk about shooting cormorants reminds me of my uncle, who owned a fishing resort on Flathead Lake (circa 1930 - 1960's) ...he was nuts about shooting osprey and bald eagles because of the gamefish competition they posed. As a kid it made sense to me, but I'm ashamed he did so.

These birds, of course, are federally protected and if cormorant culling occurs I am of the opinion that it be done by government agents and not yahoos practicing hillbilly 'wildlife science' like my long dead uncle.

Tim Cottage likes this.
  3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

There's a difference?

4. Krusty

Krusty Erect Huge Member

On occasion.

I'll take an attempt to manage resources via science over the opinions of a barstool biologist anyday.

5. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

In the 30+ years I've lived in the Basin, and this is barstool biologist speak, it seems to me the white pelican population is increasing significantly (re; post on Rocky Ford). I'm not advocating shooting them, just wondering about their affect on game fish. Upstream of Priest Rapids, I've seen them year 'round. Are they eating smolts during out migration?

We have another bird in the area that seems to get a pass; Caspian tern. If you want to get a chuckle on real science (tongue in cheek), take a boat ride in the spring on O'Sullivan Reservoir and check out Goose Island. I watched a work crew, supported by a UH-1 flying in concrete blocks, set up hundreds (thousands?) of blocks with posts and flagging and God knows what else, in an attempt to prevent the birds from nesting on the island. Seems to me the NY method or a couple pigs could do some good but then the university doing the study wouldn't have a study site. Bar stool biologist speak! ;-)

jake-e-boy likes this.
  6. Krusty

Krusty Erect Huge Member

I dunno about the pig approach...pigs swim well, readily adapt to living on their own, and the state is already shitting its pants over some feral pig sightings.

7. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

You're right on the problem with feral pigs in our area; my bad on that but meant more as a metaphor from a bar stool bio!

Krusty likes this.
  8. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I wouldn't class myself as a barstool biologist as I have read one book on the subject. Anyways I started fishing Sprague Lake back in 1990. Back then it was neat to see the occasional pelican and the birds that nested on the island by the 4 Seasons "resort". Last time I was there was 2006 and there were many more pelicans but the terns were something else. They had taken over the bird island and fishing along it was hard on the ears.

Rocky Ford has been discovered by pelicans and last summer they came close to cleaning it out. The Potholes reservoir has Goose Island and last year the Feds had tents set up on the island and used posts, fences and manpower waving flags to haze the birds off the island. I don't know what the nesting situation is on Sprague as I gave up fishing it after the state killed off the walleye.

Buzzy likes this.
  9. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Sounds like a good job for high school kids flying harassment sorties with state-supplied drones . . .