Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

What's the best way to land a >20lb Steelhead?

8K views 89 replies 39 participants last post by  Evan Virnoche 
#1 ·
You don't have a net because you hiked in.
You don't have a massive amount of room.

Do you run below it and fight it upstream?
Do you try and tail it yourself?
Do you get tired, pin the line, and watch it disappear?

#78 ·
Of all the people on this board only one or two are going to hook into a 20 pounder. Nobody here needs to worry about landing one 'cause it isn't going to happen anyway.
Hooked three, landed two.

#79 ·
All on gear, biggest on fly gear was this winter and was around 15# from river X.

This post has been deleted
#86 ·
Drag it up on the bank for a handful of grip'n grins, post photo of dry steelhead, mention it was only out of the water 3 seconds.
You mean give it the Nate Treat treatment?

Reactions: seatSniffer
#87 ·
Not exactly proud to say I took two from the Quinault, on the same day. April 1st, 2001. Pics still on Letty Potters website. Looking back on it I am not at all proud I killed those fish. I can honestly say things would be different today and that's the best I can do.

24 and 21 lbs. Both weighed hours after the fact. 20 lb steelhead are huge. I will never, ever forget seeing the 24 lb fish for the first time.

#88 ·
Not exactly proud to say I took two from the Quinault, on the same day. April 1st, 2001. Pics still on Letty Potters website. Looking back on it I am not at all proud I killed those fish. I can honestly say things would be different today and that's the best I can do.

24 and 21 lbs. Both weighed hours after the fact. 20 lb steelhead are huge. I will never, ever forget seeing the 24 lb fish for the first time.
Better hope the fishing is decent in a lake of fire because you're going straight to hell for that one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.