Reference What's your default setting?

GAT

Dumbfounded
One subject I have never seen any input on,and without going all ballistic on me,would you ever consider putting scent(Pro-Cure or something like that)on a fly?
Just to see if it worked, me and my buddies tried using scent on our flies. As it made absolutely no difference in our catch rate we didn't consider it a viable option flyfishing or not.

I love to push the flyfishing envelope so I'll try just about anything once. For winter steelhead, we tried building spinners we could cast with our fly rods. One of my friends did catch a steelhead with one of the spinners but it turns out that it is damned difficult to keep the spinner blades spinning with fly gear so we gave up on that one too.

Flyfishing Purist I ain't no ever will be .....:eek:

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Scenting was only one issue I was interested in.
In that light, I used my share of "spinner flies" when I was a kid. I tied a balsa wood adult dragonfly back in my formative years once; it was horrible to cast and durability ended after one savage strike, lol. It floated well though. The fragile nature, time consuming production, and the fact that my older Cousin kicked my butt for using some of his model plane parts put an end to that particular endeavor . . .

I have no problem tying & using foam patterns today. To me, tying foam patterns is both fun & a nice break from strictly fur & feathers.

Last edited:

David Loy

Senior Moment
As indicated on another thread, I have a few good sets of waders, but whenever I can I use hippers, even off the beach. Just feels like coming home. Must be the bubba coming out.
And I sure like fiberglass.
Built for comfort, not speed.

jamma

As indicated on another thread, I have a few good sets of waders, but whenever I can I use hippers, even off the beach. Just feels like coming home. Must be the bubba coming out.
And I sure like fiberglass.
Built for comfort, not speed.
I once met a guy who did all that I have mentioned before plus the pork pie styled fishing hat and silk fly line.Not something I would do,but I still thought it was pretty cool.

Since I'm also a dirty gear fisherman I've definitely used scent in the past but I've never been convinced it makes a lick of difference and haven't used scent in my own fishing in many years.

I remember spraying flashers and things with WD40 as a kid, and soaking everything in anise oil because my dad swore by it. Never really noticed it make a difference, but it was fun as a kid.

Rob Allen

I don't like trout fishing unless there is some visual aspect to it. dry flies of course are good. I like stripping small nymphs in front of cruising trout and I like streamers in small streams fising along undercut banks when you see the fish come out and take your fly..

but fishing blind with a wet fly nymph or streamer just not my thing caught enough fish and caught enough big fish now i just want to catch the ones i can catch doing what I like.

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
C’mon, no one wants to argue about whether rubbing the fly on the substrate counts as scenting the fly?
It is an indisputable god given fact that it doesn't count as long as the substrate is made of natural feathers and fur. But if you rub scent on foam, artificial rubber, plastic beads or any other synthetic material it definitely counts as scent.

TC

It is an indisputable god given fact that it doesn't count as long as the substrate is made of natural feathers and fur. But if you rub scent on foam, artificial rubber, plastic beads or any other synthetic material it definitely counts as scent.

TC
No, no, no. I’m not talking about the fly materials, though I do see your point. Dipping my glo-bug in my sardine juice counts as scent but spraying my Lady Caroline with WD-40 is A-okay! What I mean is, does it count as scenting the fly if I rub it on rocks and periphyton and sand from the streambed? What if there’s a salmon carcass on the sand and my fly accidentally touches it? At what point does a salmon carcass decay enough to be considered part of the streambed?