What's your favorite deer cartridge? Elk cartridge?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by John Dude, Nov 14, 2010.

1. tkww

tkww Member

I don't have experience with it, but I remember reading that is roughly 80% of the recoil of the .44 mag. A little digging around the web and I saw that number and 85%. Take that for what you will, as it obviously depends on several factors (bullet weight, velocity, weight of the gun, etc.) Point being, it's a step down from a .44, but not a giant one. Find the heaviest gun you can....

2. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

As I revisit this thread, I must admit that my 180gr Hornaday SST handloads for my .300WSM really did the job on that elk. Clean through, taking out both lungs, liver , and the bottom of the heart.

View attachment 49065

3. ffishnfly

ffishnfly Roger AKA The Fish Whisperer

.257 Roberts for deer and .270 Winchester for elk, both Remingtons. Models 700 Classic, and Model 721 respectfully. And I wouldn't hesitate to take the Roberts elk hunting with some of the new bullets.

4. John Dude

John Dude Learned skills from George Dickel

What bullet would you use in a 257 Roberts on elk? The smaller case capacity would limit your downrange energy. Shot placement would be crucial. Are there still elk hunters with that much patience? (So many people I run into during hunting seasons seem to shoot first and look later. They can be scary to be near)

5. John Dude

Trying to decide which rifle to use for deer this fall. 280 Rem Ackley Improved Kimber/Mauser or 30-06 Rem 700

6. psycho

psycho Active Member

Sitting in my gun safe is my father in laws Winchester model 64 in .30 WCF, that rifle has killed more Elk , deer and Moose than anyone on this site will ever kill. He hunted with two of the worst hunters I have ever seen but funny they all filled their tags. He bought it in 1935 and used it until Dementia got him in 1977. But then he was a hunter and knocked most game down well under a hundred yards.

7. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    IMG_4074-1.JPG Well, if you want to stop anything in its tracks, from ground squirrels to the largest bear in North American, , there is the all around .375 H&H. It is also legal for elephants if you run into one in the cherry orchard. (You remember the elephant joke of why elephants paint their toenails red, don't you?).

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  8. WonkyWapiti

WonkyWapiti Active Member

Maple Valley, WA aka county seat of Cedar County
    :) Three years ago I ended up with more tags than normal in my pocket. That year I brought home two antelope, a blacktail buck, a mule deer doe, and a huge elk cow. All five were quickly brought down with one shot each from my .270 using Nosler Accubonds. Normally I prefer .50 cal Barnes TMZ's for deer with my muzzleloader and 100 grain Montec's for elk with my bow.

shotgunner likes this.
  9. John Dude

I have a 375 HH. I have done 200 gr bullets in reduced loads that work well for deer.

shotgunner likes this.
  10. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

375 H&H is on my 'get it' list. I have one round in the ammo cabinet that my dad had. No where near shiny. A couple decades. I pull that son of a bitch out and fondle it like the hope diamond.

dld and shotgunner like this.
  11. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Actually, I didn't carry the 7mm rifle this year. 44mag, 8 3/4 barrel and scope under my fishing jacket. Walked all over hell in the rain. Just awesome. All warm and dry.

12. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Cartridge? Long gun: .30-'06 Ruger Model 77, factory loads 150 gr bullet. 4x weaver scope (the must have gun in 1975) just fine 150 yards.
    Handgun: .44 Remington Magnum, only good for the other side of the apple tree.

13. 2506

2506 Active Member

Thin-skinned critters get the custom Rem700 in 2506. I have a custom 338 on a Sako action that is turning more and more into a safe queen. I bought an off-the-shelf Rem700 in 300 Winmag that's taken it's place. Horses tend to not care what kind of rifle is in your scabbard, I've come to learn the hard way. Just gave my son my old Savage 99 in 308--the same one my dad gave me at 12--that rifle has put more venison in the freezer than any other.
    For handguns, the only caliber I use is 45 Colt. Haven't bought factory ammo in over 15 years for any of my guns.

14. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Love the 45 colt. Hate the judge. Great for less than 15 feet but you're not using the sight anyway. Inaccurate as hell beyond 15 feet. Sure would like it in a lever action. I know that would be awesome for deer or elk. 44 mag brass can get mixed up with the 45 colt so easy.

15. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Funny story re the .375 Holland and Holland

Whatever year it was (1996 - just checked) my Dad and one of his oldest / closest friends both bought Remington 700 Limited Edition Classics. The friends Son (Dave) is close friend of mine yet and carried his Dad's rifle that year for our firearms deer season. The basement of this old farm house was kind of a gathering spot, a.m. coffee / p.m. cold ones, go over days plan - result, etc.. An "old" (54 at that time ..lol..) guy (Dick) I worked with stopped by. He was sitting across table from Dave, who's gear was kind of sprawled near by, 10 pack of cartridges standing in the mix. You could literally see his eyes get WIDE and leaning ahead with shocked facial expression immediately asked "Do those shells go all the way to the bottom of that!?" Straight faced, Dave says "Yes.. do you wanna shoot it?" Instant reply from Dick "No."

Matt Burke likes this.