Whats your favorite Fly

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

So rick which is your favorite? and those all are beautiful fish!!!!!

2. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

And I don't disagree...with your disagreement! But they are notable by their exception; hit the big hatch (which is a rarity on my small mountain lakes) it can go insane! I've experienced the same thing...late summer...grasshopper population explodes. But as a dependable producer of big trout..no way. Of course, at only a half century of flyfishing...I'm a novice....seriously.

I've caught a handful of really big trout on dryflies...all thrilling...and all surprises between small fry.

3. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Seriously great fish on drys Rick, but please put on a puffy jacket or something. :rolleyes:

Krusty and McNasty like this.
  4. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

It ain't about the fly or the favorite spot....it's really related to 'saddle-time'. Fish a few times a year and get lucky...and you might think it's 'the spot' or 'the right fly'...but experience will teach you otherwise.

Kent Lufkin and Patrick Gould like this.
  5. Patrick Gould

Last year on Moose Creek I hooked a big boy on a #14 PMX. I just sort of stared at the diapearing line for about 5 seconds beofore I decided to clamp down. He broke the 5x like a wet noodle. I did manage one other large fish on a PMX on the Yak last fall and one in 2010.

Krusty likes this.
  6. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    The green thing.

It is just a mis-tie of the Nyerge nymph.

There was a period of four years where I only fished with the green thing and a black marabou leech.

It was a zen period in my life. But I did learn how to catch fish!!

Krusty likes this.
  7. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I have to say, for lakes around here in Western Washington, I have caught more fish on a callibaetis emerger than anything in recent years. In a local lake yesterday (even tho midges were hatching), I picked up a 20" rainbow on it. Go figure, no callibaetis hatching either, but, it brings fish to the surface anyhow! I tie it with no hackle.

8. Patrick Gould

Something like a kilkhammer type?

9. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

You truly learned that there were far more important things than the 'right' pattern. Flyfishers are fixated on patterns...it's just a piece of the puzzle. I once did the same thing with the Renegade...wet and dry.

It was always amusing to have another flyfisher (jeez, that word is awkward...I want to say 'flyfisherman'...but that's sexist) ask me what I'm using when I'm catching fish....and I say Renegade or Olive Willy. They look at me like I'm bullshittin....they've been spending too much time reading FF magazines.

There's nothing wrong with the latest patterns....and nothing particularly right with them either. Time on water trumps everything else. Where, when, and how you place the fly is simply far more important than pattern.

10. chief

chief Active Member

Adult Damsel is my favorite on lakes, Stimulator on rivers. There is a limited window when they work, but the question was what is your favorite, not what works for you most of the time.... Big dries are hard to beat....

Patrick Gould likes this.
  11. Patrick Gould

Adult Damsels and Dragons are neat flies. I have yet to catch a fish on one, but I really like the flies.

Kcahill and McNasty like this.
  12. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

I like the October Caddis. A fun fly to experiment with and I've caught some great fish with them. Best time with the OC was fishing the little D in Tumwater. Right by the old brewery I found a hole full of trout who couldn't say no to the pumpkin fly. I watched them chase n fight over it one by on in a very aggressive way as the fly drifted over. I had eight to hand in about 40 minutes. Been in love with the fly since.

13. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Years of stillwater fishing have led me to conclude that fish most often see something that is olive brown, about 1/2'' to 5/8'' long and shaped like a common food source. Sure, they will take buggers or often short take them, they'll lip leeches and sometimes take the most outrageous thing in your fly box. But from opening day to the closer in fall one fly produces more for me than any other-a halfback nymph. The simple combination of pheasant tail, peacock herl and a wire rib on a size 14 hook is my go-to solution to a lot of stillwater mysteries. How they spot those little things in 25' of water amazes me but they take them confidently and forcefully with little of the hunt and peck routine you often get with wooly buggers. I fish them deep and real slow on a type VI or VII line and do very, very well.

Ive

Krusty and McNasty like this.
  14. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I agree in retrospect Patrick! (especially on the north side of 60!) But it was about 95 degrees that day and the layers kept coming off! As for my favorite fly-something big and foam, like a chubby chernoble. But really, I don't think the fly makes a lot of difference. If the fish are looking up, and you float the fly over them with a reasonable profile, you will catch fish! On stillwater, stripping a fly, any drab fly with a reasonable size will catch fish at the right depth when the fish are in the mood. Tonight at our fly club, Tim Lockhart (Ford Fenders) presented a pretty good case that if the fish are feeding, you can catch them (subsurface) with just about anything. If fact, he said he wrapped a hook with duct tape one day and caught about as many as he did with any other pattern. He also said that when the fish are near the surface, say taking callebaetis, then matching the hatch is much more important. Rick

Patrick Gould likes this.
  15. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

Looks like you got a lot out of the speaker at your club tonight rick. Thats good and thanks for the insight.