What's your favorite spey reel and why?

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
favorite spey reel and why?

It's gonna have to be my new Redington CDL11/2, cause that's the one I bought and I have no other experience with other spey reels. I'm pretty much a "middle of the road" guy when it comes to fly fishing equipment purchases and the CDL seems to fit that group. I saw some Charleston?? reels on e-bay that we're listed at $1999 opening bid... wow. I'm sure their very nice, but just think how you'd feel if it hit the rocks and got bang up.bawling:

S

stewart dee

I love a Lamson because all components are recessed and the drag is on the quiet side, and thats nice for strippin line on the sneak-in.

Chum83

well my lamson i like a whole lot, its real simple not super spendy and it get the job done thats for sure.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger

I have several favorites. None of them have a disc drag and most of them have no palming rim.

I use a Ross CLA 7 on my spey rods and a Gunnison 5 on my switch rod. I like the #7 because it will hold backing and a full spey line pretty easily. The G-5 is on a 5 wt switch and will easily hold the backing, running line and the shooting head and the spey leader. They both have good drags and balance nicely with the rods. Besides that, I had them already and didn't need to go looking for more equipment. If I come home with any more I'll probably not have a home to come back to.

Jergens

AKA Joe Willauer

It's gonna have to be my new Redington CDL11/2, cause that's the one I bought and I have no other experience with other spey reels. I'm pretty much a "middle of the road" guy when it comes to fly fishing equipment purchases and the CDL seems to fit that group. I saw some Charleston?? reels on e-bay that we're listed at $1999 opening bid... wow. I'm sure their very nice, but just think how you'd feel if it hit the rocks and got bang up.bawling:
You wouldn't care if you dropped your Charelton because they are bombproof.

I fish spey rods from a little 3 weight , up to 9/10 rods . All of these reels will see the water at some point during the year - some more than others
SA System 2 8/9
SA System 8 (same reel as the Hardy Marquis 8/9)
Loop 3w
Abel 3N
Hardy Salmon #1
"" "" #2
JW Youngs 1540
FlyLogic FLA 10
Penn Freshwater #4
Sage 3600D
Redington AS 13/14

Favorites ? Salmon #1 and the JW Young

chromeseeker

Where's the Bucket?
Partial to any of the old English clickers with names like Perfect and Beaudex. Simple, bomb-proof and mildy annoying when a steelie takes line.

C

speyfisher

Yeah, my favorite would be my Olson too.....If I had one. Those Redingtons only set me back $100 a piece when Orvis closed 'em out. The Bauers a little more. FWIW, I think Bauer screwed up, big time, when they went Super-lite. And now it will cost $50 more if I want a Bauer Rogue without those damn holes cut in the frame!