What's Your Line Arsenal Look Like?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Matthew Kaphan, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Matthew Kaphan

Matthew Kaphan Active Member

After 15 years of using the same sinking and intermediate line, it's time to upgrade. So I'm wondering what all of you expert lake fishers have in on all your spools?

Currently, I have:
    a floater
    an old, pre-clear intermediate. I just ordered a clear intermediate to replace it
    a type 2 or 3 full sinking line (I've had it too long to remember, but it's a Scientific Anglers uniform sink and it's dark green)
    a line I built which is 12 feet of t-14 attached to frog hair mono running line for doing deep, deep dredging and vertical presentations.

What am I missing? What do you use? What should a lake fisherman not be without?

matthew

2. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

As a died in the wool vertical presentation man with an indicator and a proponent of the two rod endorsement, I think you are missing at least one more floater. One for deep 20+ feet indicator fishing, one for mid range, and one at deep or mid depending where you are fishing as your second line. I guess one could also argue for another floater ready for risers or for very shallow streamer tossing. You might also benefit from looking into a hover line.

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

When I am out I usually have four rods rigged up. Two rigged with a floater and indicators, one with a Rio Camolux clear intermediate, and one with a Rio DC type III. In my box in the boat I also keep a reel spooled with a Rio type 6 for getting down deep in a hurry, a Rio Aqualux intermediate that I don't like as much as the camolux, and have recently added a Rio hover line that I also keep on a spool in my box.

I have only used the hover line twice since I bought it but I have a feeling its quickly going to become a favorite. Super slow sink rate is perfect for many situations.

That's my setup, but I am far from an expert.

4. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Love me a Hover Line! I carry three rods rigged: floater with indicator, Rio Outbound Hover, and SA Sharkskin Streamer Express 150gr type 5 sinker. I carry spare spools with a 3' clear intermediate tip, and type II full sinker. I haven't changed out a line to fish one of my spare spools in a couple of years. Also, don't ditch your old intermediate! After trying most of the clear sinkers on the market, the Hover line I use now is just a non-clear intermediate with a nice shooting taper. I don't like most clear lines.

5. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Usually two rods, indicator rig and sinking line, which may be either a type 3 or intermediate. If third rod then another floater for dry fly work.

Wayne

6. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

I take three rods with me. One with a floater for fishing chironomids under an indicator, one with a clear intermidiate and one with a full sink type VI to get down deep.

7. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Well I'm kinda messed up right now with lines but do with what I have for now.

One indi dry 5 wt.
    One 5 wt. dry for sippers with soft hackles
    my long 6 wt rod (10 ft.) is rigged with a s.a. intermediate clear, for shallow work and bombing casts to cover water. then a old 80's teeny 300 for trolling and 25 ft. and deeper vertical fishing.

Also have a 9'6" 6wt for dries with indi's for wind.

NEED a type 3 s.a. uniform sink. I like the uniform sink when fishing deeper then say 8 ft. the intermediates or full sink lines seem to get to much belly down deep creating to much curve in the line which makes me miss strikes. fishing 8 wt. uniform sink lines for stillwater steelhead in 10 to 12 feet of water always worked better then intermediates because of the tip sinking first with the body following, makes for a straighter line to the fly for strikes and hook sets.

Then I need a type 6 for my 5 wts.

Its never ending because s.a. just came out with the trout stalker floating line with long 69 ft. head in the textured series line. gotta have one for distance casting! Its built like they're old expert distance mastery line.

Most of my dry lines are s.a. gpx. if I had faster rods my 6 would have the s.a. steelhead taper. one of the best dry lines made, just wish they made them in 5 wt.!

I also have 7 wt. and 8 wt. rods for stillwater steelhead with intermediates and uniform sinks and steelhead taper dry line.

8. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I have a couple of floater lines, one specifically for chronies
    an intermediate
    a type 2 full sink
    and a type 4 or 6 graduated full sink.

In the early season I use the floater and intermediate almost exclusively.
    Later in the spring I will go to my faster full sink line. The type 2 mostly sits in the bullpen. All these are in 5 wt.

9. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

This is my usual set up as well.

10. Matthew Kaphan

Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Thanks for the all the tips. When I rig up I go out with two 5 wts. One with a floating line and one with a sinking. I'll swap out the leader on the floating line to switch between dries and indicators, and I'll switch out my sinking rig with an intermediate some times.

I think I need a third 5 wt.

Matthew

11. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

floater, type 3 sink, type 4 sink, type 6 sink all 6 weights.
    use the 3 & 6 the most. mostly cause i dont get over east anymore :( .
    to lazy to carry more than 1 rod.

12. Ron Olsen

Ron Olsen Active Member

A Sage 4 and a Loomis 5. Sage has Rio #4 sinker, Loomis a Rio #5 versitip. Usually fish the floater without a tip for the indicator. If mids or a suspended something isn't working, can go camo tip int, #4 tip or #6 tip to work any depth over drop off or shoals. Also have floater, camo int, and a Teeny 5-foot tip for the Sage on other spools. Like the Sage for sippers or for dry work right up to the reeds; easier to drop those #18-22 softly!