What's your record for not catching a steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Tracy Lauricella, Dec 26, 2012.

1. rmflyrods

rmflyrods Member

Maybe we should create a match-making service. Pair up someone with a dry spell with someone doing well. Imagine the karma getting someone onto a fish that is having trouble! :)

2. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    That's a lot of time but certainly not unprecidented if you are fishing PS winter populations mostly. I went a few years not catching winter fish. I kept a journal for a while. I actually started catching after I stopped the journal. It wasn't the reason why. These reasons were.

1.) Run timing- I saved my time up to hit rivers at the prime time rather than any time.
    2.) Wild fish- Winter wild fish are biters. When they are around you should fish- see number 1
    3.) I learned the right water to fish. Fly water and gear water isn't always the same.
    4.) I finally caught one. It seemed to open the faucet. I caught 2 more that week. Of couse, I was fishing when the fish were there. They were wild fish and I was fishing good water.

Best of luck.

Go Sox,
    cds

3. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

I went from 2007 to 2010 without touching a fish. Hooked one in that time.

4. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Home Page:
    I tried talking you into floating above where we met for the shuttle... keep at it! ;)

5. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

cant remember the last time i landed one with the bug rod. at least 5-6 years ?
    lost 2 good fish on spoons this summer though. best hit and run i have had in many years.
    with the current pis poor returns and hatch turds, i just don't get very up for it. mostly i go to get out of the house in the winter.

6. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

Just started fishing for them today... So I recon, one day down and still looking for them...

formerguide likes this.
  7. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Tracy,
    I was fishing just below Reiter this morning watching guys catch them from both sides of the river. When I relized I didn't have the right colors on me I went home and tied some that should work and will be heading there again to give it another try.
    Alway's ask questions and never give up, you'll get there.

8. Chris Bentsen

Chris Bentsen Member

My advice if you want have a chance at a winter hatchery fish on the Snoqualmie River is to nymph seam water from Fall City upstream to Tokul Creek using beads or small go bugs with split shot and a strike indicator.
    Chris

9. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

You'd improve your chances fishing from Plum's Landing down to Fall City.

10. Tracy Lauricella

Tracy Lauricella Active Member

Depending on this weekend's schedule I might be going back out Saturday or Sunday. I might just have to try the upper drift this time. :)

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I've had my dry spells, more gaps in chances to fish. Keep that log running and the data you can farm later will make the gap between the first and second fish short, then shorter still to the third, to a time you may actually have sevaral in a day!

My last steelhead was skated up on an a waking foam/hair dry with Evan Burck. It has been a while, but that was actually my last steelhead trip. This winter I must make it back out to the OP for some soul cleansing, steelhead cooperating or not. Then I'll like to try my hand at some summer steelheading again, with swung dries making a V wake and getting sharked.

Andrew Lawrence likes this.
  12. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast free bird

Color would be low on my list of reasons I didn't connect. Reading water and getting down would count more than color.

13. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

below Reiter its a hit & miss game with the bug rod. lots of competition for those fish. so they see every thing thrown at them. floating line w/indicator would be my 1st choice. remember the jig guys are not bouncing bottom. just keeping it 6-12 inches off bottom should be in the zone. course thats in the pool type water. if you swing, then you should be on the highway side from the cable hole all the way almost to Proctor creek. and yes i would change colors often. you never know with those hatch turds what turns them on. long walk though from the highway side !!
    my 2 cents on that.

14. generic

generic Active Member

That's absolutely BRUTAL! That there is dedication man...I would have quit after the first day if I didn't get one.

I got skunked in January one day a few years back, swore I was done at that point. I was back at it the next week. If I would have got skunked that day, I would have quit for sure. That's how dedicated I am. :D

15. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I only took flyfishing for steelhead seriously for one year. I dedicated that year to fish for nothing but steelhead. I did catch steelhead but more often than not, I didn't. At the end of the year, I decided I wasn't a steelhead fanatic. I'm more into catching than casting.

However, there was a time our group was Steelhead Stupid... we tried flyfishing for steelhead during less than desirable conditions:

An example of Steelhead Stupid:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This was not only a "dry spell", it was insanity.