What's your tying space look like?

Bert

Registered Potamophile
Slatwall rules.

This is a stand-while-you-work setup. I built a 42 inch high countertop in an 8x5 foot L-shape for maximum usable work area with storage underneath. Slatwall comes in 4x8 sheets. I split it the long way and mounted it about 7 inches above the desktop. It gives me about 13 feet of 6-row slats right at eye height.

Most of the material is hanging from pegs various length. You can get all manner of other hangers, too. I added 8 inch shelf brackets at the top of the long wall with LED puck lights underneath.

If you have the luxury of a dedicated work area, this wasn't very expensive and no special tools required. Circular saw, driver drill, etc.

Slatwall - $60/sheet
Closet Doors for countertop - $40
Melamine shelving - $50
Porch paint. $25

One meellion pegs. - Priceless.

Ed Call

Bert, that is awesome. I should do that in my garage. My tying area, once tidy, looks like a grenade went off inside it.

Jeff Studebaker

Kayak Fly Angler
Leeland: I will be in a hotel for a week in vegas. I am going to tie while I am learn. I cant wait. Finailly some time!
A week in Vegas and you'll be in your hotel room, tying flies. Anywhere else that would be pathetic, but on this site...well, we all understand.

Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd; That was a good buy at Goodwill. Cant believe you found all that there. Do you usally find stuff there for tying?
Only this once have I found quality items intended for fly tying at a thrift store, but this was a mother load.

I read a board member mention once he found a Nor-Vise at Goodwill.... I rember that each and every time I walk in. You never know what will show up.

Chef

Jeff S:
I am so looking forward to a week in vegas, tying, reading, relaxing when I can. I have classes to take during the week but I am glad to have some time to tie and read.

Jeff Dodd

The lamp at Big E's tying desk- They turn up with some regularity at thrift stores. I see about 2-3/year, but the sewers snatch them up quick.

Big E- Cool desk with the flat screen for sports and tying demos. Good Livin' !

Jeff Studebaker

Kayak Fly Angler
Jeff S:
I am so looking forward to a week in vegas, tying, reading, relaxing when I can. I have classes to take during the week but I am glad to have some time to tie and read.
Seriously, that does sound like a good time. I tie whenever I find a moment, but I haven't taken my setup on the road yet. (Hmmm...I do have a trip to Portland coming up...)

Big E

The lamp at Big E's tying desk- They turn up with some regularity at thrift stores. I see about 2-3/year, but the sewers snatch them up quick.

Big E- Cool desk with the flat screen for sports and tying demos. Good Livin' !
Jeff,

I imagine you mean the retractable lamp behind the feather vase vice the Ott?

Yeah the flat screen is great for those Sunday tying sessions.