What's your worst skunking ever?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Slate Run, Apr 17, 2013.

1. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

photoshop alert ! dead fish, no water dripping off, and see the eye ? live trout always look towards home. guilty until proven innocent :eek:

silver creek schooled me more than once. 8-10 18-24" fish on mahoganies in a row, all lost in the weeds one day. my best day onany spring creek ever !

2. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

When I was first relearning I must have went a good 7-8 trips and didn't catch nothing it was bad. Had me wondering if I really had did this as a kid.lol But I do have a happy ending when I did finally land one it was 19'' so thats the good news.lol it was funny because I almost fell in. I was so happy I slipped and if I wouldn't have just sat down I would have been in 6+ft deep fast moving water and probably swimming for my life.lol

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. PT

PT Physhicist

Lk Ballinger a couple weeks ago after I'd read they dumped 6,000 fish in there. Didn't get a bite. Stupid fish!

4. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

I still haven't gotten nothing out of there and I have been 3 times. Thats just not my worse.lol But I figure it got to be hard to catch a fish that has seen every kind of fly that can be tossed. Shit I heard they are so picky that they turn down the real thing.lol

5. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Every single solitary time I fish the irrigation ditch, errr, I mean, the Yakima, with Dave Alberts.
    It's always good for a boatload of laughs, though!

6. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

The Yak is tied with steelhead on the S Rivers for me for most skunkings. I think I have that river dialed, but some days it is just stingy.

7. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    I've been skunked my fair share, but one skunking stands out for me......

The setting: a spot on the Clark Fork that I won't name but it requires quite a long hike/walk before you get to the spot (i was wading it). It was December. Cold, occasional snow flurries and windy. I had just fished it the previous weekend, though, and had a phenomenal day throwing streamers and a few nymphs - I think I landed 5 fish over 15" and I lost one fish that was a beast - so I was totally fired up to get after it with my beloved Redington 9' 6 wt CPS.

I made the drive, parked the rig and hiked in....

This section of the Clark Fork has an island that you can wade out to, but it is a risky wade. a LOT of water. Long wade (I'm talking football field-ish or more), strong current, particularly slippery rocks covered with riversnot and almost up over the chest waders in sections but the payoff was worth it so off I went.

It was a dicey dicey wade but at last I got 95% of the way across. My mind wandered to the trouty-goodness I was about to enjoy in complete solitude. Suddenly I slipped hard and fell forward, right up to chest depth. As I did, my rod dip dipped and I snapped my CPS in two right about at the second ferrule. Unfortunately, I had just plopped the reel on but hadn't tied anything on, so when the rod snapped the snapped section immediately separated and began drifting downstream. Silver lining though - it looked like it was still within reach!

By some miracle no water had gotten in over my waders but my brain somehow convinced my body that i HAD to have that section. I lurched forward to grab it......and went in. Deep. Full body treatment and all the way under. DIDN'T manage to grab the rod section.

I dragged myself out onto the island, clutching what was left of my rod. I was through and through soaked - top to bottom. I then had to wade all the way back across the river and hike all the way back to the car in sub-freezing temps and light snow. Didn't manage one cast. Didn't have spare clothes in my rig that day.

The ultimate? When I gave my sob story to Redington and returned the CPS, they (as usual) provided great customer service but said that given fact that CPS was discontinued, they would be sending me a CPX instead :(

Skunks don't get a lot worse.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  8. t_law

t_law Active Member

Last month, 7 hour guided float on the Yak= no fish.......Long drive home thinking WTF?

9. Slate Run

Slate Run Incredulous

Epic!

10. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

My first & only trip RF,but Didn't hurt nearly as much as a trip I took to the Yak two years ago. My pal and I were fishin the same piece of water from opposite banks with the exact same flys. He pulled in four nice fish in ten minutes. I got squat.

11. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Who did you go with?

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  12. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

4 hours? Really? That must have been so frustrating. :rolleyes:

Slate Run likes this.
  13. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

YEP!!!

Patrick Gould likes this.