When Do We Worry About Winter Kill?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by b_illymac, Jan 8, 2017.

1. b_illymac

b_illymac Member Active

It's been as brutal a winter I can remember in Moses Lake. I'm starting to worry about winter kill on some of my favorite Seeps. Some of you guys that have been fishing here awhile maybe have a better idea on winter kill and what we can expect???

2. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

Sharing your concerns. Everything is iced over and now the snow just keeps coming and covering the ice.

3. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Yeah, some of the Seeps may be in trouble. The Columbia backwaters I fish around here shouldn't be impacted, but concern for shallow, lowland lakes may well be impacted I fear.

I'm also concerned about winter kill as it relates to shoveling snow. We're getting shelled again today - shoveled twice yesterday & once already today. Helped my Son thaw-out a water line in his new house yesterday; I'll bet he never forgets to trickle warm water in his north wall kitchen sink again during extended cold snaps! C'mon spring!

Phil Fravel, crequa, Buzzy and 2 others like this.
  4. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

I would think that most of the seeps that hold trout now are more than 20 feet deep and probably won't winter-kill. Does anyone on the board remember Quail having a kill? The bass pond by my house has partial kills every few years, which lead to better sized bass for a year or two. It is shallow, weedy and is at 3500 feet with way more snow and ice than I am seeing on the basin.

5. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

Jim - take it easy out there with the shovels! My wife and I shoveled last nights snow this morning, it was dry and light. We're getting a lot of snow again, started about 10:00 AM and hasn't quit (yet). And oh joy, it's windy too so the drifts will pile up. Ah, spring.

@bakerite - Jeff - I hope you're right.... that lake we fished in the seeps had some deep bodied fish that I'd like to try out again once the ice is off and the water warms up!

Jim Ficklin likes this.
  6. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

It was a helluva workout today - 3 times, lol. Thankfully, the young fella who lives across the street came over & helped. I can honestly say that I AM beat tonight though. Hank, however has had a ball now that his foot has healed-up.

bakerite and Buzzy like this.
  7. Matt Paluch

Matt Paluch Active Member

Home Page:
    I took my drone down to potholes to practice on Friday. Saw open water on two of the small lakes right below the dam. Hopefully the meltdown continues

troutpocket and b_illymac like this.
  8. johnk

johnk Active Member

When it comes to possible winterkill the lakes usually start getting checked the first week of March. I'm basing this on Tunkwa and other Interior BC lakes. March and April are the most nervous months. I remember the year Leighton winterkilled the eagle population went from 4 to at least 40 and this was two weeks before ice off. They knew what was going on below the ice, either they could see or smell the carnage and when I phoned Brian Chan to tell him he also knew!
    When lakes first ice over the less snow the better as it lets photosynthesis to continue through the ice. This time of year additional snow on the ice only insulates it and slows down the melt of upper layers of ice.

Forgot to mention, my conversations with our biologists and the minimum depth to stop worrying about winterkill is 30' for at least 50% of the water body.

svira and Jeff Dodd like this.