When fish are rising, jumping, finning....

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Cole L, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Cole L

Cole L Fish Fiend

And they appear to not be eating. I had a very frustrating experience on fish lake over by leavenworth last spring where fish were jumping everywhere around me, over me, nearly landing in my lap. Most were stockers doing this, but I also witnessed some larger browns too. When looking around, nobody was catching anything. What do you do when fish are exhibiting this "happy" erratic behavior?

2. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Maybe they're union fish and on their break....can't hook em....jump in and join them!

Islander and Jeff Cheng like this.
  3. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

When you see this, throw an unweighted Zug Bug and hang on tight.

4. pond monkey

pond monkey Active Member

Just a guess but ….could have been black ants….they lay flush in the film and are hard to see unless one is above them and looking down and trout love…..they often show up on the first warm days of spring….and there needs to be trees around and some wind...

5. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I've seen this up in BC and feel the fish are cruising thru surface daphnia blooms. Green "mush" is from the stomach samples.

cabezon likes this.
  6. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

I can think of a few foods it could've been. In any case, sometimes there is so much food to be had, and a frenzy to go with it, that your single fly simply has too much competition around it. Thats just one of many things it could have been but in a case like that you can try either standing out or locating on the fringe of the activity if you can find it. Most times, in reality, you and everyone else will keep experimenting until someone hooks up...or not.

7. Jerry Metcalf

Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

They are eating something and you just have to figure it out. Spend some time looking at the water. A Yogi Berra quote is helpful, "You can see a lot just by observing.".

8. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    This happened to me at Grimes and a lake in the basin. This was a MAJOR feeding frenzy...fish all around with ten or more rises at once. Enough to get anybody excited.

At Grimes I finally gave up and went home. The guy I was with stayed with it for another hour and then gave up.....total count for both of us...ZERO fish.

At the basin lake I finally found the one MAGIC fly. A cast and then a large hog on the line. Released and then another cast and anther hog on the line!! The second fish broke me off.....and then I found out I only had ONE MAGIC fly.

9. Matt B

Matt B ...

And the MAGIC fly was... ???

dfl likes this.
  10. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Probably a secret. That's how they stay magic :D

11. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Micro leech under an indicator. Just as any other time .

Irafly and troutpocket like this.
  12. Matt B

Matt B ...

Never hurts to ask. ;)

David Dalan likes this.
  13. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    It was some sort of black chromonid fly.....OK, now your wondering how in the hell do you end up with ONE black chromonid fly in your fly box. Well, for a long, long time I just did not do bobber fishing.

I now have a friend who, unfortunately, has become addicted to bobber fishing. He was the "other" fisherman at Grimes and I do believe that is where his frustration and addiction started. I have tried counseling him and even gave him other flies, but he really is addicted to watching that damn thing bob up and down.

He did become a much better tyer than me so now I have plenty of flies including black chromonid flies in my vest!!

Steve Kokita likes this.
  14. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Cole,
    This is one of the mysteries of fly fishing. We're not suppose to solve these moments/experiences that's why changing flies and trying different tactics don't work. If we were to answer all the questions about the natural world would it hold the wonder and intrigue that it does for us?

It's fun just to play along when things like this happen. Last time I experienced what you did I popped open another beer and started screaming at the fish as loud as I could. It didn't help the "catching" any but the other guys on the lake sure had a good laugh!

Irafly, Cole L and troutpocket like this.
  15. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

This really did play out once. I was fishing a lake near Spokane and when I got into a shoal area I wanted to fish, it was obvious something "special" was underway. Big fish making a spectacle on the surface. I tried some surface stuff for a half hour or so . . .then cast out my micro leech . . .bobber down!

It only lasted for 2-3 fish then shut down. No more visible activity. Later at the take out another angler asked me if I had keyed into the water boatman hatch. I said I figured something out.

Nick Clayton and Irafly like this.