When you were first learning to Spey Cast...

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Jeff Hale, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Ian Stubbs

Ian Stubbs New Member

You will throw more casts in an hour of practice than you will in a whole day of fishing, fish just get in the way of getting better.

Like others have said visit Aaron on Saturdays and Mike on Sundays you will be hard pressed to find two finer gentlemen who have more knowledge and the ability to pass that knowledge to others.

By the way if you were throwing a 7/8 AFS with a polytip on the Z axis 7136 I thought that was a perfect match.

Ian

2. SSPey

SSPey Member

they had an early 9140-3 that later became the 9140-3 DS and was medium fast (weight 8+ ounces, I believe) and then the 9140-3 Euro that was very fast (weight 9+ ounces)

the Euro version was my second spey, the one that I really learned on ... using DT11/12

3. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I dunno.

Inland is probably right since he has been doing this stuff for a really long time but the rod definately was what I would call slow.

4. Mike Rupp

Mike Rupp New Member

The answer is simple: go visit Aaron. When I became interested in spey casting, I bought a few DVDs and read a bunch on the topic. Guess what? It didn't help at all. After searching the web I found Aaron. With his try rack and the fact that he's FFF certified, I figured that it would be a perfect one-stop shop to be able to get started.

I think that people can be hesitant to get instruction for whatever reason. My take is that some time and money up front to get over the hump is much more desirable than 35-40 hours of frustration on the water.

5. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Jeff,
    maybe you can tell from my handle-I can relate to what you're saying:D

what broke the wall for me was realizing that it was OK to suck at casting for awhile. I kept feeling my way through it until the word "inept" popped into my head; I smiled, laughed at myself. Inept...and probably amusing to watch. Relax, man. This takes time.

Just take your balanced setup down to some nice, but fishless, moving water and practice short range switch casting, over and over. The worse you screw up, the more gentle you go. Watch videos, imitate the motions in your living room with the butt section of your rod. Take the advice in this string, some real heavyweight dudes have chimed in to help you. You have support in this online community.
    You have to do practically the opposite of your SH instincts with a DH rod. I'm a boomer with a SH rod, and I took that attitude into DH and suffered for a summer till a friend helped me work it out. After awhile I was a DH boomer.
    then I figured out the fish were practically at my feet...:D you know how it is.

Just enjoy the process, and when it stops being fun, take a break! this is supposed to be fun

Bob

6. inland

inland Active Member

Jason,

Steve has it right.

William

7. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

William, Jason just said you're really old. Are you going to take that shit? :D

8. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Thanks brothers. I am heading out to meet up with Aaron and Mike Kinney. And, I know that I need to slow down, and then slow down even more. The problem is getting myself to do that. This shit really is like practicing Zen. The harder you try the worse it gets. I love all you guys using terms like "Jedi" and "Master". I guess I will have to "trust my senses and use the force" the next time "my feelings betray me" and I feel like breaking the damn rod into 20 pieces and flinging it across the river.

9. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

I started with the pre-skagit line "built" by Mark Bachman in Welches a few years back. Then switched to a windcutter for tips and a DT for dry line work. Everything work the same but different. I would practice what you plan on fishing.

Before you break that rod drop it off at my house.

10. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

I used to practice when the rivers were blown out so no one could see me...:)

11. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

oh man, I'm shameless...I'd go down to Blue Creek and whip the water into a froth:rofl:

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Awesome question, awesome responses. I'm such a hack I've barely fondled my two hander, but I know that I have a lot to learn. Some of that learning happened right here. Much of it will happen over time I hope. Eventually I'll get to Aaron or Mike or they will find themselves in Kitsap looking for something to do one day.

13. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Sigh ....

Age 10 or 12 (and I'm 66+ now) up in "BC." Green-hart rod and after an hour .. it was take a nap on the beach time.:rolleyes: Dear God, those things were heavy. The line was 'silk' so you had to 'grease it up' every few hours or it would sink like a rock. (Which might not have been a bad thing, but who knew back then?)

fae

14. thewaker

thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

As stated above,with all the good instructors out there you would be stupid not to get a few pointers. I never took a lesson(probably would have helped) but have managed to progress nicely on my own with the help of friends who spey cast.There were not a ton of instructors out there when I started.

I started with a forgiving 15 ft rod and a mid-spey line and I think that it helped me get the basics down. As my technique improved and shorter lines became more available, it was way easier to cast lines of all lengths. I think starting with a longer line and getting that down makes casting shorter lengths easier. Many today start with short skagit and skandi lines and never care to learn to cast anything longer than that.

Longer belly lines are a kick,don't deny them their place.

Mark

15. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Inland said a while back that he was making fly reels at a time when I was a baby. That means he has been doing this for a "really long time", at least by my standards ;) And for the record, I didn't use the "o" word.