Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Where are the chrome pigs?

21K views 152 replies 52 participants last post by  Runejl 
#1 ·
is anyone hooking up with fresh chrome hogs?

#58 ·
It can and does happen, you just need to leave the gear rods at home....and endeavor to keep the faith.
That's my biggest issue. I've really committed to fly fishing only so far this winter, even if that does mean I'm missing a few fish here and there... which is my OCD worry I guess. The fish I might be missing often haunt me as much as those I hook and lose.

#59 ·
Gotta make peace with it and accept it, then and only then will you fish freely and break your bait soakin' gear chuckin' ways. Do not be seduced by baits that smell like bacterial vaginitis. I know it can be tough...

#62 ·
If you want to catch fish consistently and efficiently then fish gear. If you want to catch them on your terms and in a way which you deem necessary then flyfish. I find myself flip flopping some. The two I landed today were on gear and WAY out of range and depth for my fly gear. When fish move out of the big deep holding water to the seams and transition water I will adapt accordingly with the fly rod.

#65 ·
Gear or fly is dependant on my motivations.

If i am going to a mixed stock fishery in the early winter i am probably gear fishing. I love drift fishing with eggs. My intent is to harvest chambers creek so they don't stray.

If i am going later in a mixed system I'll mix flies and gear and am more likely to throw a spoon than bait. My motives are still to remove hatchery fish but with sensitivities about hooking wild fish on bait.

Late season wild fish.. first off i rarely do this even though it's my favorite but this is when I swing flies. My motivation is just to be in a beautiful place hoping for the best.

#72 ·
No swung steel for me this winter, due to many factors including lack of trying. I did have a HB eat a stripped in white baitfish, but he spit the hook.

Last weekend was predictably crowded and unsuccessful. However, I did catch this.

Organism Mammal Fish Tail Marine biology

Ah yes. The ever elusive hatchery bull trout. Talk about a unicorn.

Attachments

#76 ·
Nice @golfman44 ! No bugs on mine but it did come on a type 3 tip. If only I had brought leader material I could have had my first dry line winter fish. Damn. Was alone so pardon the crappy pic.

View attachment 162400

View attachment 162401
Sweet fish and winters hope. I love the look of those winter fish that are just starting to show some color like the one you got. Here's a close up of another one from that day:

Salmon-like fish Organism Oncorhynchus Fish Fishing

#79 ·
I like to think of this decent sized red-band rainbow as a 'no-salt' steelhead... can I at least get honorable mention status? I've swung up about half a dozen or so this year like this. The chrome will come if I keep putting my time in ya?

Ecoregion Water Road surface Sand Landscape

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.