Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Where are the chrome pigs?

21K views 152 replies 52 participants last post by  Runejl 
#1 ·
is anyone hooking up with fresh chrome hogs?

#4 ·
Saw a couple pigs in Bremerton earlier but they weren't very chrome.

Tried swinging my lucky Unscratched Scratch Ticket fly but couldn't get a take. Probably should have worked then again with a Shipyard Paystub, but I elected to continue on and look for some players.
Were they playing tough to get ;)

#7 ·
Good casting/swinging practice on the Sky the last couple of weeks but no takers. Rain coming tomorrow and the river should rise. Looks like it’s coming down on Monday before another increase in flow Tuesday. Wednesday and beyond might be fishy. Fingers crossed.

#33 ·
Plant Water Terrestrial plant Fish Marine biology

Nice hatchery hack job. Dorsal and adipose were clipped. Perhaps that explains the lackluster fight it put up. From set to shore in like 3 mins. Jeez.
Imagine being all of the poor steelhead that ended up as mortalities from seals, predatory fish, etc. They got beat buy a gal without a dorsal fin. Talk about embarrassing.

#34 · (Edited)
View attachment 157581

Nice hatchery hack job. Dorsal and adipose were clipped. Perhaps that explains the lackluster fight it put up. From set to shore in like 3 mins. Jeez.
Imagine being all of the poor steelhead that ended up as mortalities from seals, predatory fish, etc. They got beat buy a gal without a dorsal fin. Talk about embarrassing.
Sadly, that fish is also a shameful embarrassment of our mismanaged fisheries. You did the right thing by delivering its last rights and putting it out of its misery. Soon, you will do what is best....consume and excrete it. Then and only then will this meat product be rightfully processed. Brutal.

#46 ·
HB's are around. This one took me to within 25 feet of reaching the backing and leapt once. He also nutted everywhere.

View attachment 157682
I'd put money on those being a particular N Puget Sound system summer run. We would always call those "swinters." Summer steelhead doing final migration during winter steelhead time.

Summer steelhead would enter late June-July 4th on average and migrate through the mainstem and forks and hold until fall. Depending on fall rains, late september/october we would catch quite a few of these summer fish migrating up to the hatchery. By the end of the chum run and into December, the leftovers were those that had spent their fat reserves and were approaching the end of their life cycle.

Cool to see those are still around. Can be a fun fish to catch during summer/ early fall.

#39 ·
View attachment 157722 There are a few around, I blanked, but my buddy found this hatchery buck on the center pin. I'm highly jelous of his drag free drifts. It got the rock shampoo. Taped at 34in
Hatchery or Wild 34" is a pretty sweet fish. Approaching pig status!

Reactions: Kfish
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.