Where are the Chum fry?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dryflylarry, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Just this morning (4/1) I saw my first school of fry in the Chico Creek area. They were about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches in length.

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    One thing to consider; if you are not yet seeing many chum fry, then the Cutthroat may not be seeing many of them either. With some of our sea run Cutthroat now in post spawning condition, leaner and less robust, it wont hurt to be conservative in our approach to the beaches now while the Cutthroat resume gaining weight. It only takes a few weeks for them to regain their former zealous, ass-kicking qualities. We have a whole season ahead of us, and so do they. Give them a chance to fatten up. Tread lightly.

3. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

And that's what I'm talkin' about!!!! :D

OK, Bob, I need to keep remindin' myself: "patience is a virtue!"

Shouldn't that be the litany of every angler?? ;)

4. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    I was out last week -- spent the day with Greg Cloud before speaking at the Olympia TU meeting -- and the South Sound cutts were definitely eating chum salmon fry. We're far from the peak of all this, so patience is key. Just keep visiting your beaches and fishing. If you don't see chum fry, try other flies, such as woolly buggers, Clousers, sculpin imitations and scud flies. The cutts eat every day....

Bob Triggs is right about being conservative right now. I try to keep away from the creek mouths, and, if I do hook a skinny fish, I head elsewhere. By the way, caught a nice mix of cutts last week. There were some very nice fish -- and I saw lots of smaller cutts. I like to see a wide range of sizes.

miyawaki and Bob Triggs like this.
  5. dave h

dave h New Member

Saw them yesterday on the foss waterway in tacoma about inch long.

6. coastal cutthroat

coastal cutthroat Active Member

I agree patience is a virtue. Anyone know how I could learn to have some in a hurry?

Dipnet likes this.
  7. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Remember my Chum Crash post earlier this year? Hope those predictions aren't coming true. I finally got some decent chum fry patterns tied and ready for their first swimming lessons :mad:

8. Adrian

Adrian Active Member

I've personally seen a Nat Geo style chum fry hatch and SRC's aggressively feeding about 10 days ago. If they aren't in your neck of the woods...wait just a bit longer. The rains will help get a few more out of your local creek.

dryflylarry likes this.