Where can't a Drift Boat Go?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Bob Neal, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

You would be surprised what a drift boat can do. On Youtube look up the videos from the Lochsa River. There are a bunch of roadside videos from Lochsa Falls(?) showing raft after raft being overturned on a huge standing wave. A couple drift boats go through the same spot and punch through with ease.

I've personally taken them through some hairy spots a lot of guys would avoid, including a 4' drop over a diversion dam. Like Jerry said, its all about your personal comfort level and what you like to row. Try different crafts out on the waters you like to fish and figure out what works best for you.

2. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Speaking of cool boats, I was in Montana last week chasing pheasants, and I managed to do a couple days on the Missouri as well (where I rented an RO drift boat from the Trout Shop in Craig and is rowed like a PIG!). There was a top of the line Montana Boatbuilders wood/kevlar drift boat on the river both days and that is one awesome craft! I got some pretty good ideas for some mods to my drift boat, so I have a winter woodworking project in my future! Rick

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Rick, it's funny how different boats are. I have been TRYING to restore my old Eastside. Ain't working. Everytime I rip it apart I want to take it out and put it back together again. It's not pretty, was that way when I got it. People look at it and probably think "I'm not going to survive a float in that boat". Tune changes fast. I know Chris and Evan have been in it on the board. Rows like a dream, and handles some pretty skinny water nicely.

I've heard mixed reviews on the RO boats. Aren't they the composite boats (as in like the same materials as the kayaks)?

4. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

So how was the Mo fishing?

5. CBP1888

CBP1888 New Member

I debated this question for about a year before finally deciding on a Clackacraft FB. It was the best decision that I made. There is always a river with fish in it in Western Washington that you can take a drift boat. The only time I wished I had a raft is July and August on the Kalama for Steelhead. The water was to low for my driftboat.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

A drift boat can't get rolled up and put into your cargo area of an SUV or bed of your truck. A drift boat is pretty tough to roof rack atop your rig. Guy's I've been lucky enough to float with are masters at making their drift boats go right where they want them to once on the water. They each have also taught me a lot about what not to do and where not to go.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    A real man drives a truck or a 4wd (not an SUV). A real man hitches his drift boat trailer up and mans up. A real man doesn't care if it rolls up and fits in his "SUV", he has a "roll" that he lays out to sleep in the back while his drift boat trailer is hooked up. A real man doesn't need a roof rack since his driftboat is sitting on his trailer all rigged up. ;)

Had to give you shit Ed. ROFL

8. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Since I don't know you, Ed, I'll not join in Jerry's fun, but I will suggest to you a trailer hitch is a wonderful thing. I towed my drift boat behind my f150, my silverado, my plymouth voyager, and my honda crv. I also launched and retrieved it from those as well, and trailer hitches cost about what a set of them fancy roof racks go for..

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Guy, his cataraft actually has a nice trailer he puts it on. And Ed's a great guy, I only give shit to guys I know and truly like. :)

10. Ed Call

Jerry, funny stuff right there. Funny, I recall some killer pics of your 16' cataraft on your bronco...and have seen your steelheader and steelheader II that you rolled up, disassembled and put inside your rig so you could tow your drift boat...how am I doing?

Guy, I'm easy. Never miss an opportunty to toss some $h!t my way. Everyone else does. My SUV has a trailer hitch, can tow 6000# and towing my 6x10 Utility trailer with my 14' cataraft inside is a breeze...which allows me to crash inside the rig if I am too lazy to pitch my tent. Lots of crafts with lots of options. Eventually I hope to have a nice woodie drift boat (like Ross), and the skill to row it properly so as not to destroy it (like many of the real oarsmen) and the knowledge/experience to know where to go and where not to go. I learn so much each time on the water, mostly because of the talented company I'm blessed to keep.

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Actually and truthfully that was someone else. I don't roll my toons and usually put the assemled toons inmy drifter.

And it wasn't an SUV. It was a front and rear locked TRUE 4WD Blazer when they were K5s not when they were called SUVs. Sheesh.

12. Ed Call

BS flag being raised. Your frames were off those solo boats and they were stuffed in the back of your truck bed camper with all the camp cookery stuff, weren't they? Rolled, folded, stuffed...
    True 4wd Blazer? My POS Pathfinder in 4wd was more than enough to haul one domestic rig off the river lauch rocks when stuck...
    I have an SUV becasue it is comfy...roomy...capable. I'm soft, I know.

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Oh you were talking the Hoh down. I had tubes hanging in garage. Was a last minute toss in boat so didn't put them together. Then people who were supposed to use them didn't. But frame for my 10' steelheader is a 1piece custom. Can't take it apart. I thought you meant a thread I did years ago. Had my 16' on my Blazer and my old original 9' steelheader taken apart and stuffed in storage compartment of trailer.

LOL Ed. Technically they call Blazers SUVs now. I always hated that label. Spent a lot of nights sleeping in back of my Blazers with my cat, drift boat, or sled hooked up. I'm getting soft too (them youngins call it getting old)

14. Bob Neal

Bob Neal Member

Thanks fellas...you guys are great.
    Sounds like pulling a drift boat with my pink VW Bug will make me look a bit more manly :)

15. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Well, if you're towing with a pink bug, make sure your drift boat is tie dyed. ;)