where did you start fly fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by tlcgpw, Mar 4, 2007.

1. tlcgpw

tlcgpw the net guy

haven't seen this on here.
    for me i started fly fishing in the mid 60's
    with my dad and bro.
    at a place in Mammoth Lakes CA.
    called Hot creek,
    it's a fly fishing C & R only
    see ya Greg:cool: :beer2:

2. FFK

FFK Active Member

i started fly fshing at the sokane river., caught my first fish on a haires ear

3. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    In 1985 I joined the high school radio club, not so much for the radio experience but to go on a hike and flyfish for mountain trout in the Cascades. I was hooked after the first fish. It came from what seemed like 20 feet down to take my dry on top. It seemed like forever for the take and thinking back I can't believe I didn't pull the fly away. I must have been frozen in awe but regardless I'll never forget it.

4. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

I started out fly fishing off my dad's back. He used to pack be around in a baby backpack and would hand up the rod when he hooked a fish. The first trip i remember was to the Thompson in BC when i was about 3yrs old.
    Grew up fishing sea-runs locallly with my good friend Bill McMahon. Got a little boat when i was 10 and started fishing the salt almost every day. The agate pass coho run being my main target. Man i miss that fishery.

5. Dan Massaro

Dan Massaro Member

My dad first handed me a fly rod on lake sammamish when I was about 9 years old. Day started off fishing worms and then my dad handed me the fly rod. It took a couple trips but I caught my first fish on a fly at the SF Snoqualmie, it was about 5" long and I could not have been any prouder.

6. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Mid-late 60's on the Cedar river, dad got a couple of cheap bamboo rods & we went to work on the bow's.

C/22

7. Mike Danahy

Mike Danahy @#)$%# river otters!

my mom bought my dad and me a guided day on the madison... damn near impossible not to be hooked after that.

8. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Caught native brookies in Goose Lake near Brundage Ski Resort and Hazard Lakes in Idaho in the early '60's, on renegades trolled behind a boat on spinning gear. I taught myself to flyfish on the N. Fk. Boise River in the late '60's. My favorite fly then, and I think the one I caught my first trout on was also a renegade. Biggest fish of the first trip was 17" rainbow.

9. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I caught my first trout on a fly, after several unsuccessful day's outings, from the Huntington River, a small stream in the Green Mts. of Vermont. I was standing with my fly dangling in the water, wondering what to try next, when a generous little rainbow gave me positive reinforcement.

I wasn't "trying" fly fishing. I had decided two years earlier that I would work myself into the sport, after a year using bait, then a year using lures (a 3/16 oz. red & white Dardevle is deadly). I've been happily fly flingin' for 44 years.

10. beaverton

beaverton New Member

Bored with powerbait plunking I hopped in a float tube (friends made fun of me) with a martin rod and reel, had no clue what the hell I was doing but proceded to out fish them. I have been hooked ever since. It was on a lake called black lake around wenatchee. I suggest trying this lake out if your ever in the vacinity. It is a planter but there is holdover rainbows up to 20 inches and the occasional brown. Great place for the beginner or the experienced.

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I guess that it was in the early 50's I'm too old to remember when I first started. I know I got myself a cheap bamboo rod at a local hardware and fished with that. But I have done it off and on for since then but have not done it full time since about 10 years ago. That was when I started getting rid of all my other gear. Now all I do is flyfish.

Jim

12. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

On Green Lake in the late 50's, my uncle gave me an old bambo rod, after that point it wasn't the fish that was hooked.

13. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

At age 9, I inherited my dad's tying kit because he didn't have the patience for it. That, and his bamboo rod / reel that came along with the tying kit, were my treasures. I tied at an old rolltop desk I still have. First fish on a fly I tied was from the Warm Springs river upstream from Kah-Nee-Ta, age 9.

14. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Began my journey into the world of fly fishing on the South Fork of the Snoqualmie (1/2 mile from the house). With 5 years of fishing experience under my belt I thought I could started to teach myself the basics of fly fishing. I had talked my Dad into allowing me to use his fly gear (he hadn't touched it in years). It was a South Bend cane rod (still have it), a silk line, and a spring loaded automatic South Bend fly reel.

That outfit was way too heavy for me (I was only about 9and small for my age) but it was several years be I could save enough money to buy my own rod (a 7 1/2 foot yellow Wright McGill which I also still have), reel and line at that point I considered myself a "fly fisher"; spending hundreds of hours on the water "practicing" every summer. Began teaching myself to tie at age eleven - could not afford to keep buying flies.

Now moving into my 6th decade of fly fishing I still remain a largely self taught angler and tyer but look back at the first decade of fly efforts with great fondness. Skills was developed from my time on the water and what I could learn from reading the big 3 outdoor magazines of the time at the store while Mom shopped. When I found articles by Joe Brooks or Ted Trueblood I would often spend some of my limited hoard of funds on the magazine rather than gear. How I dreamt of fishing those far away waters. By the end of that first decade I could consistently place my dry fly in sauce out to 50 feet which greatly enhanced my success while trout fishing the Snoqualmie Forks, had caught my first steelhead on a fly from the Tolt and my first steelhead on a dry (main Snoqualmie), and was selling flies to support my addication.

Tight lines
    Curt

15. AFJBugger

AFJBugger New Member

Hot Creek as well! Might be down there in early summer.

Adam