where did you start fly fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by tlcgpw, Mar 4, 2007.

1. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    I wish I can say that too! Nice SuperDave:beer2:

I caught my first trout from Provo river, Utah. Since then I see it as my home river.
    I learn a lot from this website WFF, Thank you all!:beer2: Many awesome people come and go. A member here "worldanglr", his stories give me lot's of inspiration. I guess I will FF for trout and study them in the rest of my life. :D

Attached a picture from Mid- Provo and my good luck flies in August PMD hatch.

2. johnmetcalfe

johnmetcalfe New Member

It twas 2 years ago........about a day like this, I had just finished sitting through what seemed the longest sermon ever. As I was exitting the church I saw a flyrod in my pastor's office wall. I asked him about it and we had a nice conversation and he refered me to a place on pacific highway called puget sound fly co. I walked in there with my dad and was amazed by everything. Ever since then I live and breath fly fishing.
    Jm

Why are whoppers so good?

3. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Well I see some other eastern fly fishers here,

Here is mine, 47 years ago on NJ April trout opening day, cold and rainy as I remember. Believe we tried some nymphs unsuccessfully and then reverted to worms and salmon eggs on our 6 wgt glass fly rods with auto fly reels. I did not catch any but my friend Jackie did.

Its still being fly fished today its a hatchery stocked river. But this is where we as kids first started with the fly rod.. Saw these older fellows fishing the fly rods and started learning from them.

When we got our drivers licenses we graduated to the big time of NYS Catskill rivers Beaverkill, Willowemoc, Delawares, Esopus and the PA trout rivers.

Last 28 years in the western GLs primarily.

BG

Ramapo River - NJ

[​IMG]

http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/ramapo.html

4. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

the big time...thats good stuff. my home waters. i would love to go back some time and fish them again, especially the branches of the delaware...:beer2:

5. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Yes but its different now on the D's lots of drift boats, back in the 60s and 70s you may see one canoe all day and not many other anglers, not the same per my NJ fly fisher friends.

Believe the Beaverkill and Willow though have banned the DBs.

Still have to get back there and do some fly fishing soon, will be in NJ for a reunion this summer but down the Jersey shore on Barnegat Bay. Probably not enough time to go up there and do a day or two fly fishing given the family event.

Some fly fishing on Barnegat Bay from my brothers 30 foot fishing machine is possible though.

:beer2:

BG

6. ratcitycat

ratcitycat New Member

Back in 1979 on Martha lake by George.I had just got into fishing and the guy(Mike Issacs) who worked at Sportswest in W.Seattle took my cousin and myself under his tuteledge:ray1: .Trolled around with a type of shrimp fly and knocked'em dead then went and picked ditch asparagus on the way back home.That day really sparked my interest in fishing and I have never stopped.:beer2:
    Mike

7. troutman101

troutman101 Member

North Fork of the Skykomish

[​IMG]

8. Charlie Erdman

Charlie Erdman In search of steel

when I was about 18 on a small little river about ten minutes from my house, called Lewis Creek I think, in good ole vermont. Caught a nice four inch trout, a rainbow I think. It was a pretty good day.

9. robl

robl Member

I had my first day of fly fishing on a cold april day in 1993. I was barely ten and my dad thought that big lahontans might be a good way to start me off. I went home with only wind knots and frustration. I caught my first fish on a fly rod that summer in an alpine lake in wyoming. I'll never forget the way that cutt rocketed toward my #16 hairwing grizzly dun. Two jumps and a hardrun later I held and released a gorgeous 14" yellowstone cutt. Can't forget it. I got frustrated with fly fishing in eastern washington for a few years and sort of gave up tying and fishing. When I was fifteen I was back in wyoming spending an amazing week battling 17" cutts on grasshoppers. I've been hooked ever since. I've since been all over searching for different species of salmonids; mostly in the backcountry. I hope the day I die, many years hence, I'll be in an epic battle with a huge native cutt in some river in the middle of nowhere.

10. robl

robl Member

I had my first day of fly fishing on a cold april day in 1993. I was barely ten and my dad thought that big lahontans might be a good way to start me off. I went home with only wind knots and frustration. I caught my first fish on a fly rod that summer in an alpine lake in wyoming. I'll never forget the way that cutt rocketed toward my #16 hairwing grizzly dun. Two jumps and a hardrun later I held and released a gorgeous 14" yellowstone cutt. Can't forget it. I got frustrated with fly fishing in eastern washington for a few years and sort of gave up tying and fishing. When I was fifteen I was back in wyoming spending an amazing week battling 17" cutts on grasshoppers. I've been hooked ever since. I've since been all over searching for different species of salmonids; mostly in the backcountry. I hope the day I die, many years hence, I'll be in an epic battle with a huge native cutt in some river in the middle of nowhere.

11. robl

robl Member

Sorry posted twice

12. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Summer of 71 . Spearfish creek in So.Dak. & the mighty Cedar in good old Renton WA. !!!!

13. Jake Smulkowski

Jake Smulkowski Throwing hoppers into baetis falls

Home Page:
    My first fly trip was solo on a small lake at about 8000' that was a gnarly hike out of McCall, ID when I was teaching there 5 years ago. I caught two stunted little rainbows. I got hooked when I went with board member and buddy DM to the St. Joe one nasty day, got skunked for about 7 hours, then the rain started falling and the cutts hit everything imaginable...I got more fish then I could count that afternoon. Had a couple great trips following that, Kelly Crick, et. al. Nearly quit when some dumb bastard dropped his keys in a river in BF Idaho, but overcome adversity and near starvation to live and breathe fly fishing. Obsession struck after catching and releasing a beautiful native cutt on a tie of my own design and rod I built.

14. hbstriker

hbstriker Member

For me it was trophy lakes golf course and casting. I buddy figured it would be a great place to really get me excited about it, and it was! Though I never landed any of those monsters, watching them take my flies was enough for me. My first river ever was the Skok, and it still is my favorite river.

15. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Caught my first trout on a fly in the Walla Walla River in Oregon when I was a kid about 1959. I had an old cheap bamboo fly rod (South Bend). Really got serious about fly fishing and tying my own flies in 1973. Its been my primary source of fishing ever since. My first good experiences fly fishing were on Moccasin Lake out of Winthrop, WA and Chewack, and Methow River out of Winthrop also. I lived in Winthrop from 1973 - 75. Moccasin Lake back then was maintained by the State, it is now a private lake.

KEH